time to raid argos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Ok, my first impression was that it was probably made out of orange-skins and maybe something for the bairns to play in.

But then again, I am something of a tent snob!
I never cease to be amazed by some of the confections being put on the market at exorbitant prices, justified by claiming ground-breaking scientific innovation. In most cases it's the same old materials and construction methods put together in an innovative, eye catching, space-age sort of way... like fishing lures designed to lure fishermen.

Rucksacs are another of my pet hates, you know that conglomeration of straps, buckles and gizmos you can't figure out and would never use anyway. I recently bought an Alpine Lowe rucksac from a guy for £40. He'd paid about £200 for it, although it's designed for a man of 6'+ and he was about 5'4", it's the most uncomfortable article I've ever wasted money on.

I've heard some mates talking about the Tiger Paw, although I never paid much attention. I doubt if theirs are made of orange-skin though, which brings me to colour.
If anyone is old enough to remember the original Black's of Greenock Force Ten, they were most certainly... ORANGE! :yikes:
They were also amazingly difficult to see when looking down from the hill and scarily camoed on moor and autumn woodland, particularly so with bracken in the area.
My mate tried to dye his and ended up with a hideously streaky brown, green, khaki and blue monster which frightened the children. But there were times at night when 2 young men almost gave up hunting for the thing. The old Force Ten was also heavy, but they were almost indestructible and there were many hardy souls who humped them over every corner of Britain and beyond.

When the first lightweight F 10's came out I bought one immediately... and guess what, it was ORANGE! :yikes: In the mid 80's I replaced that tent. The current one is green!

By the time Vango changed hands in about 1990, sales of the Force Ten had fallen away. The new owners advertised that they were re-inventing the models, making super-featherweight options. What they did was used cheaper less durable fabrics, claimed they'd made huge improvements, doubled the price and sales rocketed, as those who saw the Force Ten as old hat rushed in droves to buy something of a far lesser quality for far more money and 20 grams less weight.
The mind boggles!

Graiman, thanks for the pointer. I'll check Argos out to see if they're still in stock and will buy one for my daughter. She asked recently to borrow my tent to go to T in the Park. Oh, how I laughed! :rofl:

Ray Britton, it shouldn't surprise me that someone here would approach what is, to any-one's mind, a cheap tent in the innovative way you have and done the work on it. Ingenious!
Once again, I'm most impressed by the lot of you! Oh, and thanks for the demo!

A word on groundsheets.
This tent has a 2,000 HD groundsheet. This means that, when new, the fabric/waterpoofing can take the pressure from a 2 metre column of water before it leaks. It doesn't really work like that though, as leaching will occur at pressure points when you're lying, in particular kneeling, on damp ground.

To put this into perspective, the two tents I use most often, an original design Force Ten Featherweight @ 10,000 HD, and a VauDe Taurus @ 15,000 HD, will still leach dampness unless de-camped and repitched every few days in damp weather.

Last year I had the groundsheet replaced for the second time in 25 years on the Force Ten, as sharp gravel and pine needles have penetrated the fabric over time.
At 2,000 HD, the fabric will be thin enough to be penetrated by any twig, pine needle or sharp gravel/sand! You must prevent this, or your tent will have completed its lifetime in short order!

They're selling "Footprints" to fit particular tents! This is a spin-off benefit of the "lightweight" scam, as the retarded and arithmetically challenged fork out £50-60 for a piece of groundsheet with some substance to it.

Millets sell sturdy 6' X 9' groundsheet for £12, but any piece of heavy duty poly does. Cut it to size and fit eyelets if you wish, but I simply lay it after the tent is up.

Scottish Mountain Gear will make a footprint for £10 and will do a replacement groundsheet, bungees/guys inc, for £60. The tent has to be worth it, though.
http://www.imagescotland.com/scottishmountaingear-home.asp

Thanks again lads, you brightened a grey Sunday morning in Fife!

Cheers.

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi Trev.

If you do modify anything, and want to do things in a similar way to the way i have, I will dig up the names of some of the suppliers I used.....If i can find them lol

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
If anyone is old enough to remember the original Black's of Greenock Force Ten, they were most certainly... ORANGE! :yikes:

Thanks again lads, you brightened a grey Sunday morning in Fife!

Cheers.

I may not be old enough to remember them when they were first about, but I certainly own one now! :D

IMG_5332.jpg

I also have my dads old mountain tent (good companion?)which is marked with both Blacks and Edgington, which as far as I can make out, dates it somewhere between 1967 and 1970ish??

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Stew, they are delivery only this year!

Just like most of last year............Soon you will see loads of them on ebay! They will be brand new and still in the packet, but at least twice the price.......It happens year after year.

The same thing happens to the treklite 200 mentioned below. It is basically a direct copy of the Vango banshee (although the fly material is a different weight), and makes its way to ebay too.

It is also worth noting that the hike lite/tiger paw is a near direct copy of a 'Sierra designs' tent, but is of course over £100 cheaper!

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
I have just remembered another useful and simple mod.

The piece of webbing that runs under the front of the inner tent, is approx 5.5cm too short. This means that the tent is not wide enough at the front to stretch the fly, and leaves it flappy (see the pic below of a modified and unmodified tent). For the simple addition of an extra bit of webbing underneath, this keeps the fly taut, and allows the tent to withstand much higher wind, with less chance of damage.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hey, Mojofilter,
Steady on mate! I said old enough to remember them, not old enough to remember the first one! :lmao:

I got my dad's old F 10 in the 70's. I have no idea when he got it but it had been well used by then, although in near pristine condition. He was most unhappy 3 or 4 years later when I told him the tent had been binned as it was finished, and believed I had "hashed it".

There probably were repairs that should have been done at the time, which were done later. But the real reason was that, although my Old Man had put the tent to full use, he had a car and I didn't, I was going into regions he could no longer get to due to his having a family to support, and my job meant I had weeks off at a time, which he never had in all his working life. The hard facts are that I was of the "Leisure Generation" that benefited from the fight his generation put up for decent pay and working conditions, which his generation never benefited from.

The result was a tent that spent weeks on end in a damp or wet condition, both up and packed, and extensive use in a hard environment.
I'd never have said it to his face, but his tent was a casualty of my "Life of Reilly!

They do weigh a ton though, eh, and twice that with wet canvas? Blissful ignorance can be a wonderful state of mind.

Cheers. (and sorry for the diversion from topic.)

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hope people who wanted them were quick - now showing as out of stock even for home delivery. Got one last year for my son - and he's very happy with it

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
haha i have one of these brand new never used that i have just found in the camping cuboard.
i bought it 2 years ago for £14 using the nectar points i collect through filling the works van so never really cost me anything :)
my plan is to use it this year so these tips are great although i dont think my sewing skills will be up to doing them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE