Time to get legless

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Good Afternoon All,

I've just received the dinky little Petromax FT1 that I bought from Knives and tools and was surprised to see that it came with legs, I called the company up and they were just as surprised as me as I ordered a flat bottomed one and they don't even stock the legged version.

So the question is do I exchange it for a flat bottomed one?

From what I can see legs prevent the pot from crushing embers and allowing better flow while cooking on a fire but a flat bottomed one you can put on a hob (I'd rarely do this) What are the pros and cons for people that have used either?

Cheers,

Ollie

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Same happened to me, though I ordered from a different company.
I have a much larger flat bottomed one aswell, (not a petromax though). Tend to burn my bread in that on the bottom, hoping that the legs might stop that happening though not had a chance to try the petromax, so that's still to be seen.
You can, I'm told, grind the legs off if you want, though it would be a shame to do that. I think the only benefit would be weight wise, you can still use a legged pot in the oven. Just stand it on a flat baking sheet so it doesn't fall through the shelving grill.
Using it on a hob would be more of a problem though, but if you don't use it there that often, I wouldn't worry.
It's the dinkiest cute pot isn't it? Perfect for one person solo, and a lot lighter to carry.
I'm now saving for the next size up, just in case Santa can't make it this year :)

Reactions: Oliver G

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I've used it a few times now, I've nailed it down to 150g loaves which fit well and rises without touching the lid, I've just sat the dutch oven on the bottom of the oven it it works nicely.

We have soup for dinner on Thursday and a loaf in the dutch oven will be the perfect size for two to dip into soups.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE