Time for a new compact camera.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
harry,

The macro is good and the camera also has a super macro setting. You will need a tripod in low light - but thats true of most tight macro work due to the short depth of field.

Its not as good as my Canon DSLR with a proper macro lens - but then the compact cost less than just the lens did :)

Red

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Hi BR,

I have been toying with an Canon EOS 100D with a 300mm tele lens, and or a G10 for the past few weeks trying to get the best of both worlds. Then I read this thread and done some reading on the web and I now have got an even bigger dilema as I keep thinking of the Canon SX10is.:confused:

How are you finding yours and what is the image quality on maximum zoom? I hope you dont mind me asking, but if its as good as I hope I will save approx £600. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chopper - I have a 400D and a big old bag of lenses (18-50, 80-200, 135-400 and 60mm macro). probably 90% of the time now I take the sx10is. Its easier to carry and does most things well.

There are a few things where the SLR is better - it focuses faster (vital for birds on the wing and other really fast moving subjects). The manual focus is superior. A true macro lens is much better for "insects eye" type close ups. The SLR can do RAW format if you are into heavy manipulation of images (The G10 does RAW - the SX10is doesn't).

The Sx10is doesn't get dust on the sensor. It weighs 10% of the SLR gear. You don't spend half your life faffing about changing lenses, it uses standard AAs (great for carrying spares - and you can sue re-chargeables). It has most of the features of the Canon SLR body from spot focus to ful manual control. It will go in a coat pocket.

I find most of the time the convenience of the compact (albeit a bloody good one) outweighs the drawbacks

Red

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Well, I done it!

A quick search of the web and found camerabox.co.uk were doing the SX10is for £289.99 plus £8 p+p. Jessops are £342.00 and local and wont price match on line companies.:( or so they say one the phone.

So, a 10 mile drive to my local Jessops, wave cash under the nose of the Manager and would you believe it £50 straight off their price, take a further £50 off for the Canon cash bach promotion and a final cost of £240.:D :D :D

First impressions of the camera, its great, fab zoom, very crisp images and the colour is spot-on.

Cheers BR, its really good, no wonder you are happy with yours.

:red: :red: :red: :red: :red:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad you are happy. Seriously, its worth spending a lot of time exploring the features. For example on "P" mode I often move to a narrow focus and spot metering. You do know (for example) that you can move the focus / meter spot around on the screen?

Its a cracking camera - I'm delighted with mine - we'll have to compare outcomes!

Red

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Its a cracking camera - I'm delighted with mine - we'll have to compare outcomes! Red

The more I play the more I love this.

It has sooooooooo many features I think it will be a while before I am ready to compare my snaps with the master of photography.:)

I recon if i play with this every day it will take me about six months to get my head adound this, but I am sure it will be worth it.:) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE