Tif jpeg

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok a quick one. I have been playing with adjusting /editing some pic's I have took of the badgers and been reading to save in tif due to the lack of compression(?)
Anyway edited the pic and then tried to post using image shack (the image wasn't in raw) and image shack is saying file is too big?
Sorry for the newbie question but thats what I am!
D

If you are putting the images up on the web to let other people see then you are better to save them as JPEGS (and resized to web size as well).

EDIT to add:

Just to clarify - the advice about saving as a TIFF is correct, however, TIFF files are not very web friendly. So what you do is convert your RAW file to a TIFF, perform all your editing tasks on the TIFF and then save it. You then resize your TIFF (for example 800 pixels on the longest side at 72ppi), sharpen it and then then save it as a JPEG at a medium to high quality (aim to get your file size around 200kb). Also, if you are converting from RAW to TIFF and using AdobeRGB as your colour space then you will need to convert to sRGB for the web jpg. Only a few web browsers are colour smart - the rest will assume your colour space is sRGB (and if it is actually AdobeRGB then your image will look dull when on the web). A good way to save JPEGS for the web is to use the "Save for Web and Devices" option - it allows you to convert your colour space easily and also allows you to optimise the file to a particular file size.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
What I tend to do is - save the 'masters' as TIFFs so your original image quality isn't reduced by the compression method

- then save a second copy as a .JPG with the size reduced (what's the point of 4096x2048 pixel images if the average screen only has 1024x768 pixels?) for display on the web or emailing. - Usually I go for 800x600 at 72dpi - saved without EXIF data and medium compression..

HTH
Steve

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Think like an old school photographer.

Your Tiff file is like a negative, you want to keep as much quality in that as possible in case you want to make good prints later on.

I shoot in raw, convert to 16 bit tiff in Prophoto colour space and then edit that in photoshop and keep the file with all it's layers intact.

That tiff and, as a backup, the raw file as well are precious and I usually back them up on a separate hard drive just in case.

For publishing on the net I make a flattened copy (ie. no layers) convert it to an 8 bit file in sRGB profile, resize it for the web, add any metadata including copyright details and then save as a jepg.

Note the copy bit, if you resize your original and save it you will have lost all the extra data that your file contains and you will be left with an image only fit for the web.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE