Ticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Does anyone carry tick tweezers as a matter of routine?

One of my favourite knives used to be sold with an internal ferro rod. Now it is sold with tick tweezers as standard. You can still buy the ferro as a separate item but you can’t carry both as integrated tools. Clearly the makers see ticks as a priority.

I was bitten for the first time in my life last month and did everything wrong. I didn’t realise what it was and crushed it as I scratched it - but I wasn’t equipped to remove it. I’m perfectly OK so far but won’t be in the clear for two more months!

I don’t carry keychain stuff but might just invest in a pair.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
It's worth going to the doctor after a tick bite if you're concerned about it, the only way to prevent Lyme disease is to get antibiotics early doors.

Regarding tweezers, yes! I always have a first aid kit with me when doing outdoors things (especially as I usually have my dog with me, who acts like tick velcro) and I have this in it:

I'm going to get another one to keep in the car as well.

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
You can also buy a thing that looks like a credit card with a V shaped notch cut out of the edge. You slide the tick into the notch and it slides right off, very convenient. Ive also used tweezers too but prefer the card thing as it seems to work more reliably first time.
In my experience if you check daily and catch them before they really get into your skin then you should be ok. Quite often I will find them in places where my clothing stops them from going further like the belt line or the collar of shirts but ive also found them in less accessible places. Just do a 100% check visual and have a good feel around also remember a mirror for the less accessible places.
You can get vaccinations for some Tick-borne infections so maybe investigate that.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The O’Tom is what I use. Not sure where the dog stuck its head up on the common but she brought back about 8 or 9 ticks. I pulled 7, missed 2. Found one as a blood splat on the floor and this one on the sofa a fortnight later. Bloody things, she’s a smooth coat white JRT so they’re hard to miss on her yet I still did.

IMG_5001.jpeg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have the OTom green plastic crowbar thing in my little first aide kit. I aim to be carrying that in my bag every day to work and whenever I go for a country walk. I have needed it only once, having had a tick attach to me after I disposed of deer butchering bits.
However, I got bit by a Lyme infected tick as a child, was put on antibiotics within 24 hours…I really hate the blighters and try to be prepared.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE