Thrudark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone own/used/stroked/sniffed any of the Thrudark range?

Is this , as uber pricey ( subjective ) clothing range worth the pricetag or is it just trying to sell the image/vibe to justify its price tag?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I will never know. I can buy 3 or 4 very capable jackets for the price of one of those. Each of which, judging by past experience, will still be serviceable after ten years. So, if it is 4 times as good and hardwearing it will last me forty years - trouble is I won't, so it would be a total waste of money.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Holy mary mother of sweet zombie jesus......how much for a fleece!

Even before getting the prices I knew we were in trouble when the very first thing I see on the website is an offer to let me pay on tick!
Then I scroll down to "join the brotherhood"

Hard pass on that for me but there will be plenty of fools soon parted from something, there should be a saying about that

Reactions: Robbi

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
They seem to be in a similar, though noticeably darker coloured vein as Jottnar, set up by some former Royal Marines.

The reviews are very complimentary but some of the prices take your breath away. I wonder if they really are as good as the blurb and reviews suggest...

Reactions: TeeDee

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
They seem to be in a similar, though noticeably darker coloured vein as Jottnar, set up by some former Royal Marines.

The reviews are very complimentary but some of the prices take your breath away. I wonder if they really are as good as the blurb and reviews suggest...

£500 for a fleece. How good can a fleece be?
Would have to be to fleeces what iron man's suit is to 14th century plate armour lol

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It senses the conditions - if it's cold it generates heat from thermal generating fibres that use absorbed light as the power source; if it's hot it does the reverse and cools while giving off light. It can also massage tired muscles.

I still wouldn't pay for it :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'd like to know if the what the cost of the material is if you purchased it directly off the shelf - just so I can work out how much the design and finishing adds to the end product.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
It senses the conditions - if it's cold it generates heat from thermal generating fibres that use absorbed light as the power source; if it's hot it does the reverse and cools while giving off light. It can also massage tired muscles.

I still wouldn't pay for it :)

If it does all that I might look and see if they make underwear lol

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'd like to know if the what the cost of the material is if you purchased it directly off the shelf - just so I can work out how much the design and finishing adds to the end product.

It's Polartec Power Grid cloth - which is a special knit of pretty standard fibres. Patagonia do a Power Grid fleece for about $150. I have used Polartec material since the early eighties in various forms but I do not believe you can buy Power Grid by the metre in retail lengths. A typical, good, Polartec material is around £12 per metre of 1.6m wide cloth.

Reactions: TeeDee

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Is it made in england? There's a few quid of value in that but they don't seem to be shouting about it on the website

At least most the expensive american brands are proudly made in the u.s

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
£500 for a fleece. How good can a fleece be?
Would have to be to fleeces what iron man's suit is to 14th century plate armour lol

Do remember: Jason enlisted a lot of heroes to help him find the Golden Fleece, which he then had knitted into a series of fetching garments. Maybe this is one of them...

The fleece price is monstrously steep but the waterproof jacket, although pricey, is no more than an equivalent from Jottnar and is significantly less than stuff from Arcteryx and Norrona.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
You know it’s going to be expensive when they call clothes apparel.
I actually quite like the look of one of the waterproofs, but would want to see and touch one before I even considered paying the price for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Do remember: Jason enlisted a lot of heroes to help him find the Golden Fleece, which he then had knitted into a series of fetching garments. Maybe this is one of them...

The fleece price is monstrously steep but the waterproof jacket, although pricey, is no more than an equivalent from Jottnar and is significantly less than stuff from Arcteryx and Norrona.

Aye the waterproof jackets are similar in price to other aspirational type brands.
Waterproofs are another level of clothing though imo. A £5 fleece off the market can remain functional as a fleece for years even with heavy use, very rarely can the same be said of a waterproof jacket

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
True. Maybe this waterproof might be one of those very rare occasions? I once tried an Arcteryx Alpha jacket and managed to make it un-waterproof and look very shabby after using it for just one Alpine season. I was told it was a 'batch problem'. Other, simpler waterproofs have lasted better but still go the way of all things in a few years. Perhaps their 'Raid' coat will do the job for longer?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I meant a cheap waterproof not lasting very long compared to a cheap fleece.

A decent waterproof jacket can last years more than a cheap waterproof whereas a cheap fleece will last ages, as would an expensive fleece
Meaning a higher price on a waterproof is easier to justify

Bywrongun

Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Not to resurrect an old thread but I have bought a number of items from them and find the quality as well as customer service exceptional. Happy to elaborate if anyone wants to know more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE