• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 87

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its like a bonus isn't it?

I've had chicks make one massive egg with two yolks in one shell, but they often take two days over it. One of our hens (a Light Sussex) lays doubles most of the time without missing a day. Good hen!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
We got a lot of double yokers when we first got the hens, but not so much now... we get good eggs, and one of them is laying massive eggs at the minute. I feel sorry for it having to pass such monster eggs, but they are delicious!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
At the farm we have recently added some new birds to the chicken flock.
I do not the breed name but they lay small blue eggs and about 60% of them are double yolkers - and delicious!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Weird, one of ours lays blueish colour eggs John... I reckon its the one with the fluffy head... don't know the breed, but I know she is nowty!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That looks like her... the one on the far right. Grey with a fluffy head.

She doesn't half give you a peck or two if you go in the pen though... don't think she realises I have to be in there to sort out their water. There is a blockage on one of the nipples I think... might have to replace it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good tip I was given is to put your hand in the middle of her back and press her downwards if shes aggressive. Its what roosters do and its hardwired as a dominance move - it asserts your place in the (literal) pecking order

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If I can get close enough to her without her attacking me, I shall do just that :) She's a bugger BR... when I take them the discount salad I buy for them, she is the one that tries to jump for my face... it makes you stand back when those talons are whizzing towards you.

They seem to love apples though... trying to find somewhere local for apples... then going to try your egg shell recipe.

A mate told me to install infra-red lights in the coop, so will be looking that up... not entirely sure its a good idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE