Those with burdock root experience

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Yesterday I found a prehistoric sized patch of burdock of both first and second year growth on a riverside walk.

They are now in flower.

I'd like to go dig a few up to have a go at making coffee substitute, but firstly is it now the wrong time with them being in flower?

Also secondly, I know the second year roots are woody, but if I'm just drying them out to grind into coffee powder, are they useable?
Or is it best to just stick to first year growth roots?

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Yes it isn't a good time to be digging roots. Best times are Spring just as the first leaves start to emerge or in Autumn when the foliage is dieing back. The roots are going to be fairly poor at this time of year - all resources are going into foliage (1st year) and flower and then seed (2nd year) production.
However even at the right time of year, I don't think I'd waste burdock roots to make coffee when then make a great food, either baked or sliced and stir fried. Much easier and more usual to use dandelion roots for coffee - and even though not the best time, you can still get good roots at this time of year.
Note though - whilst it is legal to forage for foliage, flowers, fruit and fungi (the 4 fs), it is illegal to uproot any plant without the landowners permission.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yesterday I found a prehistoric sized patch of burdock of both first and second year growth on a riverside walk.

They are now in flower.

I'd like to go dig a few up to have a go at making coffee substitute, but firstly is it now the wrong time with them being in flower?

Also secondly, I know the second year roots are woody, but if I'm just drying them out to grind into coffee powder, are they useable?
Or is it best to just stick to first year growth roots?

By woody in second year it would be like grinding up a piece of drift wood. What I do is clock the first year growth roots and put a marked pebble or stick upright next to them. it means in winter when the roots is at its best you know where to dig. Burdock given a choice grows in rocky ground, I found thet only way I could get to taste burdock root was take some seeds put them in a big pot and leave for six odd months [sept to march] for them to germinate then transplant to cultivated ground I could dig to the great depth to get to the root. Dandilion makes better coffee BTW and the roots are easier to get to.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Looks like I'll be leaving them put for now then. It's interesting. My wife said they smell just like something in the Asian markets, which is probably a cultivated version.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looks like I'll be leaving them put for now then. It's interesting. My wife said they smell just like something in the Asian markets, which is probably a cultivated version.
The seed will be ready from now-ish. The Japanese certainly eat it. It is pretty east to grow once it has germinated. it requires no care, but it gets bigger if fed some well rotted manure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE