This week I will mostly be making cawl spoons

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Made a simple clamp to hold the cut out blanks .

image.jpg1_zpsoxlxh9ex.jpg

I'm going to do a bit a of a production line thing, will carve the insides of the bowls in a batch, then do the outsides of the all and then the handles.

One thing, I've completely given up on spoon knives. Bent neck or even straight gouges, if you've got them of course, are on seasoned wood so much better ( for me, I know others will disagree, each to their own ) that unless I try the long handled Welsh sort and like that I'll be dumping my bent knives on the kids. I keep all my tools very sharp and I persisted with spoon knives, perhaps longer than was sensible.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
I agree about proper gouges on seasoned wood, but only if I have some way to clamp the work down.

I love my spoon knives for that fact I can hollow a greenwood spoon with no clamp at all :)

Looking forward to seeing your week unfold, production spoon-master ;)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh aye, spoon knives have a place but like dogs I think that's outside ;)

( I'll now go into hiding...)

yeah clamping makes or breaks it, for years I faffed about trying to hold things directly in the vice, then I actually thought to use the nylon peg things that we got with the bench, then the obvious struck me, make a dedicated clamp from some scrap wood, nowt fancy. I've modified it from the last picture, cut indents to match the pegs so the whole thing doesn't slide along as I whack it. Saves me applying excesive force with the vice.

image.jpg1_zpsphpxdh6r.jpg

The one in the clamp will be a small ladle with a lip for pouring.

I've six more "easy" blanks, then I'm onto the rock hard holly ones. Think I'll be having a major sharpening session tonight. I'd over sharpened another gouge so that will have to be filed first. I'm learning, slowly, but learning.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Got the 1st and hardest done and out of the way, a overly delicate spoon for sauces.

image.jpg1_zpsfyh6susx.jpg

The he rest I'll do as proper rustic chunky users. Fingers vaguely numb from sanding!

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Got another 3 finished before I had to go cook etc.

7 3/4" spalted sycamore. Small and deep so I think I'll use it for spices.

image.jpg1_zps3zehot5h.jpg

9" plain sycamore, left the handle nice and chunky as I sometimes have a little trouble gripping, something that's got a a lot better since I've been doing plenty of craft stuff.

image.jpg3_zpsinycj1kh.jpg

and finally a cautionary tale about not checking how spalted the handle was, It snapped during quite light handling but after I'd done most of the carving. So I went a bit aventguard on it and bent a bit of wire and superglued it in place.

image.jpg4_zpsetiocqfv.jpg

more tomorrow.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ta! Started on what will be the last batch of spoons as quite frankly the novelty has worn off and there will be a finite amount of space where I'll be at the craft event and on the Saturday I'll have to share it with a stained glass worker.

image.jpg1_zpsnrvhzpqy.jpg

May see if I've enough thin oak to do the tavern pipe rack I took the measurements of in the museum at Whittaker Park.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well here's the last 4 I'm doing this week, from the bottom up, and just oiled so a bit shiny. The fifth one I may finish at a later date as I didn't think through the handle and there's a weakness to the design which will make it a pretty rubbish eating utensil.

image.jpg1_zpsjvxyvx4d.jpg

I'll give them a coat of walnut oil each day as I don't have enough to fill a pot big enough to soak them.

Now a big sharpening session!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Enoughs enough though. There should be enough to cover a table. The lady running it says I should offer to sell some stuff. Only a couple of the spoons are bagsed and I can always remake any that do go. Thing is although I've swapped stuff I've never sold owt before. Got a lovely glazed pint mug as a swap for a spalted spoon this week In fact.

The ladles take too long to make for me want to sell except for huge sums that no ones going to pay for them! I'll see if I can turn some quick potato mashers like the one in the museum.

Anyrioad, just sharpened all the kitchen knives and the shed kitchen mora so the Tomek is set up and I'll touch up the gouges next .

atb

tom

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Your spoon clamping fixture is a stroke of genius.
Thanks for the picture to show your body of work.
That should be quite attractive.

Have you still got a couple that you can pretend to work on at the show?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! When the band saw is running again I will make something a bit more pleasing to the eye and lower as for the smaller blanks I had to use little blocks to raise the job up to get the entry angles for the gouges as I wanted them. I think I have a scrap of 8 mm thick ash left that will be more than strong enough.

yup we've a couple of blanks left that I will start here and we can play at carving. There's no vice or owt I can rig a clamp to there so it will be a in your hand job but I've a thick Kevlar glove for the lad ( who at 15 is about five foot nine with big hands so is pretty man sized anyway) and my German butchers glove I got on a boot for me so we will be safe enough.

Didnt get zip done yesterday as a domestic emergency occurred . Tormeks all set up to sharpen the gouges anyway.

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE