This ultralite chair looks familiar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm not saying the cheaper ones are bad but a toilet roll inner is probably a greater diameter and wall thickness than the chair. Good materials and bad materials share many common properties.

Bob said they were thinner - just thought it may be interesting to compare given I have a "cheap" one.
That said, I like the design and there is no real reason, other than to get back R&D costs and make a profit (which is not only reasonable, it's completely fair for the company that got there first and put the effort in) that the chair should be as expensive as it is.

It's also a good ethical question isn't it. Just because in the far east where the factories are, it's common for items to be copied, is it right to do so or to support that? If you want one it means you like the design and it's a bit harsh to buy from someone making a blatant rip off after the original company invested in bringing it to market.

As for the feet, tennis balls are ok but I don't think they go in the bag... before I got the proper feet, I cut two lengths of pipe and drilled a hole in either end for the regular feet to go in. I saw it on another forum somewhere. They fit in the bag, weight little and work a treat.

SDC10915%20(Medium)-L.jpg

Had the same discussion re. Woodgas stove clones. The problem is the originals price point is so high that I simply wouldn't buy one - in that sense the company that made the original is not losing money.

But in this case given REI also have a similar chair it feels to me that someone let a patent slip or they're being manufactured under licence.

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
[/QUOTE]

I do like that Sqidders, I think 'steve a' said he had shock corded them so that they remained attached, I would like to know how he did that, great ideas guys, thumbs up to you all.

I think I have fallen in love with that CrazyCreek chair, does anyone have one that would share a comment on it ?

rorymax

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You mean one of those L shaped folding jobbies? I have a different brand. It's ok for pic nics and summer use. But no good on muddy ground without a groundsheet. Back of your legs get wet.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex

I do like that Sqidders, I think 'steve a' said he had shock corded them so that they remained attached, I would like to know how he did that, great ideas guys, thumbs up to you all.

I think I have fallen in love with that CrazyCreek chair, does anyone have one that would share a comment on it ?

rorymax[/QUOTE]

just put the shock cord through all the drilled holes, not the ends and knot it to close the loop, it's really simple, just make sure the holes are big enough for the feet plus cord.

i use the ball feet though now. They're good.

Podcast Bob

I was at the UK trade fair this week and mentioned these copies to Helinox who informed me that there are 34 individual patents in the original chair and apparently as a result there's a lot of 'cease and desist' paperwork going around the world currently.

It's up to you who you buy it from or why.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I was at the UK trade fair this week and mentioned these copies to Helinox who informed me that there are 34 individual patents in the original chair and apparently as a result there's a lot of 'cease and desist' paperwork going around the world currently.

It's up to you who you buy it from or why.
I hope they succeed.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'm not saying the cheaper ones are bad but a toilet roll inner is probably a greater diameter and wall thickness than the chair. Good materials and bad materials share many common properties.

That said, I like the design and there is no real reason, other than to get back R&D costs and make a profit (which is not only reasonable, it's completely fair for the company that got there first and put the effort in) that the chair should be as expensive as it is.

It's also a good ethical question isn't it. Just because in the far east where the factories are, it's common for items to be copied, is it right to do so or to support that? If you want one it means you like the design and it's a bit harsh to buy from someone making a blatant rip off after the original company invested in bringing it to market.

As for the feet, tennis balls are ok but I don't think they go in the bag... before I got the proper feet, I cut two lengths of pipe and drilled a hole in either end for the regular feet to go in. I saw it on another forum somewhere. They fit in the bag, weight little and work a treat.

Thats a great idea. Gonna try that. Just bought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01892MIAU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which I expec to break as soon as i sit on it then move, or stand up, as normally happens. Im 104 kg. Do they not make mans sizes!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just a heads up folks.

When I was over at the German European Fair this July there were lots of these 'copies' on display from various Chinese manufacturers, considerably cheaper and considerably weaker. Using thinner tubes, weaker components and cheap fabric.

That Amazon picture of the girl sitting in the seat is of a small petite Chinese lass. Not a big hairy arsed Bushcrafter with a crate of beers on one side and a fire on the other!

Pay cheap - pay twice!

I'd be very surprised if the original wasn't Chinese manufactured, just to a higher spec. Once the tooling is set up, and the original run for Helinox has been completed, the contract has ended. It's happened with many Benchmade, Spyderco and Kershaw knives. A slight change to the original design, not branded etc.

For those of of you that grumble about copies, look to the original Woodlore knife, many of you have a copy.

My fave slouching by the fire chair is an Avid Superlow. Not feather light, but very comfortable, and you can't fall out without making a serious physical effort ;)

https://www.avidcarp.com/Videos/Player/13-Avid-Snippets-Transit-Super-Low-Chair

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I use this very chair (the copy). I am not that heavy (about 70-73kg) and it is very comfortable and packs down tiny, less than one side pocket and very light. I'd highly recommend it o be honest.

It's major con is due to it's small frame and feet it sinks into pine needle forest floors VERY easy. I tend to cut a couple of flats from camp fire wood and stick them under.

Occasionally they slide away and after a few drinks u slump into it and you disappear to ground level. Amusing to others! The feet do stay attached though.

OutdoorsJames

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Somerset
You can also buy this chair at go outdoors under the brand OEX...around £40. About £10 for me though as I work there. 😊

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE