This guy really knows what he is doing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Recently found this guy on youtube, just honest Swedish campcraft, no frills, cheap tools, very high skill level. He stuck about 30 vids up a month or so ago and they only have a few hundred views each, I reckon he deserves to be rather better known. Here are a couple as tasters, first just chopping some firewood with a cheap little axe, good stance and I love the way he splits it nonchalantly with a longitudinal chop and twist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjrJapcdWqY

And here carving a spoon, he makes a lot of use of one draw grip I use mostly across the end of a spoon but he uses it along the length, it looks dangerous but if done correctly it is not and clearly works well. Just nice to see a cheap mora knife used well. Someone else who doesn't think because you are into bushcraft you need folk music or indian chants for a soundtrack too....rock and roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYvDeP5Etc4

Frankly makes our Ray look like a little boy playing at the job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVi4MlZmKfk&feature=related

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well found Robin, a no nonsense approach to all he does, no gimmicks or excessive kit.

Thanks for the heads up

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Recently found this guy on youtube, just honest Swedish campcraft, no frills, cheap tools, very high skill level. He stuck about 30 vids up a month or so ago and they only have a few hundred views each, I reckon he deserves to be rather better known. Here are a couple as tasters, first just chopping some firewood with a cheap little axe, good stance and I love the way he splits it nonchalantly with a longitudinal chop and twist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjrJapcdWqY

And here carving a spoon, he makes a lot of use of one draw grip I use mostly across the end of a spoon but he uses it along the length, it looks dangerous but if done correctly it is not and clearly works well. Just nice to see a cheap mora knife used well. Someone else who doesn't think because you are into bushcraft you need folk music or indian chants for a soundtrack too....rock and roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYvDeP5Etc4

Frankly makes our Ray look like a little boy playing at the job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVi4MlZmKfk&feature=related
I've watched a few of his now, I like his skill set, and the way he is both fast and controlled in all the things he does, but and don't get me wrong I've no room to talk, the spoon he carved didn't look as though it would work, as a spoon that is. Too small for a ladle, too angled for a serving spoon. To big and angled for an eating spoon. Tell it it is not a spoon for tourists to shell out their holiday money on. Even after sanding, (which he claimed was all it needed). I cannot think of a use, I may have a practice over the weekend and see if I can put some of the grips and cutting techniques in to my own spoon carving style. thank you for the links :You_Rock_

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I've watched a few of his now, I like his skill set, and the way he is both fast and controlled in all the things he does, but and don't get me wrong I've no room to talk, the spoon he carved didn't look as though it would work, as a spoon that is. Too small for a ladle, too angled for a serving spoon. To big and angled for an eating spoon. Tell it it is not a spoon for tourists to shell out their holiday money on. Even after sanding, (which he claimed was all it needed). I cannot think of a use, I may have a practice over the weekend and see if I can put some of the grips and cutting techniques in to my own spoon carving style. thank you for the links :You_Rock_

The beauty of his spoon is that because it is cut from a crotch the grain runs around the bowl making it strong, I agree its not one of the most useful forms, neither eating nor big ladle but when you have lots of spoons you find uses for them. Its not unlike this one of ours also carved from a crotch, a pruning of the mahonia bush in the garden. We use little ladles for getting yogurt out of a deep pot or similar. I have no doubt that he could also make a good big ladle or eating spoon, its just good as you say to watch his "skill set" look at each knife grip in detail.

IMG_2645.jpg

Bernie...is that guy a stalker or what? how many times does he say Bernie Garland in the vid?:lmao:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Interesting vid. I wonder what was the most serious knife injury he sustained to date :)

Which one Ray or Mr Swede?

I think they are both working in totally safe manner, it is not always possible to see the safety in a knife grip but I always ask when I am performing this cut, if the knife slips through the wood more quickly than I expect, where does it go and where does it stop. i think all those grips he is using the knife stops before it does damage but only if you understand them and do them in the right way.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol

I think they are both working in totally safe manner, it is not always possible to see the safety in a knife grip but I always ask when I am performing this cut, if the knife slips through the wood more quickly than I expect, where does it go and where does it stop. i think all those grips he is using the knife stops before it does damage but only if you understand them and do them in the right way.
the one thing that made me cringe, was the video titled fire wood, and he is chopping fire wood with an axe, and the blade is about 4 inches from his toes as he swings his axe. I'm sure he's done it a million times, but it just looks a bit to close for comfort:cool:

pwb

I like his videos because It feels like he is trying to share skills that he actually knows by experience are useful.

To many of the other bushie videos on You Tube seem to preach unconvincingly at you like some kind of 'wanna be' bushcraft guru.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)

I meant Mr Swede. I would have cut both my thumbs off trying that.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Top man, top videos; there is no bull slit with this guy, no 'bushcraft' uniform, just good skills (reminds me of Mors in his approach) :)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Haha, that guy was barred from a swedish outdoor forum a couple of weeks ago (for massposting links to his videos), he just popped up from nowhere and wrote several posts per day, and still had time to produce good videos. I saw them some time ago, he is very skilled in knife handling. There is another swede who made several good clips, in swedish unfortunately, but he focused on the wilderness experience and impression rather than skills, although he showed some clever ways to use a small axe and a firesteel.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great video`s and he puts the information across well, also seems to have a lovely nature. I love the "stick trick" and i can think of a lot of things it will come in handy for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE