Thinning 3mm leather

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,

Question for you leather workers out there. I have some 3mm vegtan leather and need to thin it down. I have used a flat blade in the past which is slow and painful. I tried sandpaper recently with mixed results. Anyone any tricks they use? Besides buy thinner leather lol.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I use one of these but it would hard work for big areas but a hand plane would do I suppose and even an electric but I would fancy trying that.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
How thin do you need to get it, and over how big an area?

I thin the 5" or so that wraps around the buckle on my belts using a safety beveller (http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/safety-beveller.html) - which gives pretty good results, particularly as the flesh side isn't visible once the belt is completed. But to be honest, if you're after thinning a biggish area, (IMHO) you really need to be looking at a splitting machine, or some sort of DIY equivalent. I've considered trying to set a Stanley knife blade in some sort of mount, but haven't ever got around to trying (and you are still restricted to only an inch or two of width).

I'd be inclined to suggest getting thinner leather.

Geoff :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My aim is to always keep the width of any given bow grip to a minimum, purely for comfort.
So I thin the inner sides of the leather grip but keep the front and back thick. This gives depth. I didnt think about a plane type attack so that may be worth a shot.
The knife does work ok but there is always the risk of cutting right through :( yup done that too....
I will also have to go the other way and go with thinner leather then make up the front and the back as I do on deeper handle bows.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The little plane was bought as a leather thinner from Brisa or the goodstuffshop.de I cant remember which and it works well to thin areas to get them to bend easier.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
"Super Skiver" its even got my name on it!

Shall order one up. Will pay for its self in no time if it stops me ruining leather.

I'd recommend ordering spare blades at the same time, they are the same as for the safety beveller. They are just razor blades, so can just about be stropped sharp again, but much easier to replace with a new blade.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE