Things to have a go at befor your 50

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I am interested in having a go open canoeing , I live in North Manchester, does anybody know any clubs or similar where I can have a try or local waters where you guys paddle

I also note some write ups about Apache Canoes in Liverpool who appear to be a good local supplier ,can anybody advise the approx cost of a basic set up suitable for 2 people and luggage for the odd weekend trip

Thanks in advance

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
That's something i'd like to try before im 50 too (not long now), a daytrip paddling a canoe would be great, read a few trip reports recently on here and im hooked. Trouble is im funds defficient and will never be able to own my own canoe, let alone be able to paddle one single handed (ticker in need of a refurb).

Strangely enough i'd also love a go at scuba diving, but that'll just never happen now.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Have you any large resorviors?

They normally have sailing and canoe clubs.

Also you are near the lakes, and they will have loads of outdoor activity centre type places.

If money is an issue keep an eye on craigslist, freecycle etc. One might pop up.

We have a paper called the bargin pages, puplished twice a week, and it is basically people selling stuff in the midlands area. If you have something similar, worth a look. Especially in the current climate, i.e. end of season, and people short of cash.

Scuba Diving is on my list as well. Will do it someday.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
have a look at Chorlton & Sale water parks, surprising little oasis's (?) in Mcr, lots of canoeing going on there lessons etc within easy reach of you,
cheers

Jan 22, 2006
uk
Are we talking 'open' canoes?

That's what im interested in.

Cheers.

yep, of course!

you'll have to work around their timetable obviously - i dont think its on all the time but there's also a mcr canoeing club i've seen about a few times - they look like a lovely group, always smiling and enthusiastic

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Thanks chaps afew leads to follow up there and as I work in Altrincham the Sale water park looks a good start

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I used to be a warden at Sale water park (Well Mersey Valley) and can confirm they have canadian canoes for hire and I believe you can book lessons too:cool:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I know it's a long way but if any of you are ever up this way(or fancied getting together and making a holiday of it) I have a canoe that I lend out on occassion which you'd be welcome to take away for a week or so.

When Scuba_Pete and his mate borrowed it a wee while ago I ran it up to Loch Lomond, went out with them for the day and gave some paddling pointers, left them to it for the week then picked it up again afterwards. Would happily do the same again.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
That's a very generous offer, but as you say, a bit too far for me. I was thinking more along the lines of a few hours, that's about all i could cope with in my state of health.

Cheers again.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Some great ideas there chaps, looking forward to this weekend to have a drive round to a few places

I will let you know how I get on

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE