things to do with glycerin?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
hi all

the story is that we are planning to start making our own diesel from chippy oil for the farm van. a by product of the conversion process is near pure glycerin.

does anyone have any ideas or recipes which we could use to make lotions and potions from beeswax and glycerin?

Rob

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
reflux it with nitric acid:rolleyes:

Making biodiesl? What van is it and have you considered twin tank & preheat system so once hard it'll run 100% veg oil rather than gonig biodiesel?

the diesel will be used for more than one vehicle, so economically one processing plant is cheaper than several vehicle conversions. It'll cost about £1.20 per litre in the first year (factoring in payment for the kit) then about 15p per litre next year.

The van is a 2003 mercedes vito.

rob

ManOtheWoods

Jan 25, 2008
Winchester
If I remember rightly you can mix glycerin with potassium permanganate to make fire!?
I think there might be a reference to it in the SAS survival guide

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Is the glycerine you can buy for making icing for cakes the same stuff? I always have potassium permanganate in the house and my kids must have some reason for thinking I'm a pyromaniac on the quiet...........

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I am very impressed by the forbearance of members of the forum in the face of anti-terrorism legislation.

I'm sure I remember somebody putting something made from Glycerin in the tank of their 'Worlds Fastest Indian'. Might make the van go faster, for a very short time !

Richard

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Although no-one is going to be interested in this whatsoever, glycerin can be used to improve hydration. Athletes use it in long-distance triathlon, etc, as a small amount mixed with water seems to help the body absorb more H2O.

See, I knew no-one was interested...:sigh:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's good for linctus mixtures too, and it keeps icing from going too hard as well........probably something else no one wants to know :rolleyes: :D

cheers,
Toddy

ManOtheWoods

Jan 25, 2008
Winchester
I am very impressed by the forbearance of members of the forum in the face of anti-terrorism legislation.

I'm sure I remember somebody putting something made from Glycerin in the tank of their 'Worlds Fastest Indian'. Might make the van go faster, for a very short time !

Richard

I think that was Nitroglycerin (an explosive) I guess that would give you fire to!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE