Things of willow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Had an exam today. To relax afterwards I made a willow basket and a deer for my daughter. First time on the willow deer, I am not too satisfied with that one.

willow.JPG

Reactions: gregorach

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
ahhh this is the thing you said your dsughter was attacking lol, they both look great mate
leon

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Well I hope you were as good at your exam as you are with the willow. They look great. What kind of willow is it? :)

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
Both look really nice mate, you should definatly do more exams and make beautiful things after haha ha ha you should do a tutorial for us less talented crafters to give us a go!!! how did the exam go and what was it in??
Jams

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
loz. said:
Speedy !

Can i ask though - why not start with 9 strands - why add them in later on after starting with 5 ?

Thanks

laurence

A good question. The reason is that in the centre, if you used nine strands, the strands would stand very close in the middle, and that would add extra strain on the weaving material. If your material is very flexible it is possible to do it that way, but on a very large basket you would still have to add strands later on as the strands get too far apart for convenience and to make a proper product.

Was that well explained? :)

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
torjusg said:
A good question. The reason is that in the centre, if you used nine strands, the strands would stand very close in the middle, and that would add extra strain on the weaving material. If your material is very flexible it is possible to do it that way, but on a very large basket you would still have to add strands later on as the strands get too far apart for convenience and to make a proper product.

Was that well explained? :)

Thanks !

So if i understand - the strands that get added in later - don't meet the center, they would start at the base edge ( the start of the upright ( wall ) of the object )

leaving just a 5 strand base, and 9 strand walls ?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
loz. said:
Thanks !

So if i understand - the strands that get added in later - don't meet the center, they would start at the base edge ( the start of the upright ( wall ) of the object )

leaving just a 5 strand base, and 9 strand walls ?

They don't all meet at the centre, no. But I added them before starting on the walls as that will give a stronger "corner" down where the wall meets the bottom. You can really add strands continously as you work your self up the wall, that is however only neccesary if you are increasing the width of the basket, something I wasn't doing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE