Thermos mug advice please?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm after a new thermos type mug for the workshop. Heres what I need:

Must keep drinks warm for at least 4 hours, have a big handle and preferably not one of those "click to open" tops - I want to be able to throw it in a bag like a regular flask.

Size wise 250 - 400ml?

What would people suggest?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Thermos King mug, its stainless, keeps a cuppa warm for at least four hours (I've made one at before seven in the morning and drank it after three in the afternoon and although not perfect it was still acceptable) and has a screwtop. Screwtop has a valve thing to drink through and the mechanism can be takan apart to clean it.
I can fill it then shake it without it leaking. Best travel mug I've ever owned by a long shot.

Youtube thing, showing it not leaking when shaken.

[video=youtube;n72_wTFsAlE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n72_wTFsAlE[/video]

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
That looks just the job - sick of cheap leaky ones that go cold in an hour! Thankyou

Yeah same here. I make a cuppa up (well just done it now and its twenty past six in the morning) with milk in it to have at ten O clock and its always hot then. Sometimes left it a good bit later and its still acceptable for a good time longer.

They also do a 1.2 litre Flask which I've had since Christmas and I make up just hot water in that. It also fits nicely inside a section of 100mm waste pipe (with a cutout for the handle) so I just knocked up a carrying bracket with a circle of plywood in the bottom so I could attach it to the bulkhead of my old Transit van between the seats. Then I made a more shallow holder out of 100mm waste pipe which can hold a 2 litre waterbottle or a pint of milk.
Stopped the flask from rolling about when I'm driving and keeping them upright also means they lose less heat as the main area with not quite as good insulation is the lid.

If I make a flask of hot water up now, if I don't use it for any reason its still too hot to keep my finger in the water next morning when I pour it out.

So far they are the ONLY flasks I've ever used to measure upto the hype.

Then they do a wide mouthed soup/stew flask which I bought. The one I have sometimes cools just enough so there's a bit of a vacuum inside so removing the lid can be a bit of a task and I'm not sure if the threads are as deep as they should be or what but I'm not quite as blown away by that. Still keeps things good and warm, just awkward to get the bleedin lid off to eat it.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Still using the freebie I was given at an insurance trade show in the US twenty years ago. It does not keep stuff warm for more then a couple of hours and leaks at the lid, but for taking my first brew of the day to school it still does the job, seems wasteful not to keep it in use. Have a load of flasks but still use this this day to day. Maybe I am just tight !

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Used the new one today. Coffee made was still piping hot 5 hours later - awesome recommendation - thanks demographic

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The expensive ones which leak are the most painful.
Had a really nice, glass-lined bottle which held 3+ big mugs of coffee.
The third time that it developed a strong vapor lock, it died.
Opened it with a .30-'06 x 165gr.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One thing about those nice Thermos ones worth keeping an eye on is that you hardly have to tighten them up much at all. When I first got mine I was maybe putting half a turn more on than I need. Puts strain on the seal and its not needed. After a few days I realised it didn't need much at all.

I make up one cuppa with milk for my 10 O clocks, after that's finished I put a little hot water in it and rinse it through the lid to give it a bit of a clean then at dinnertime (lunch time of your a southerner) I make a brew up using a teabag and milk.

I've been telling anyone who will listen about those cups cos I have been sick to the back teeth with other ones just not being upto scratch.

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
This is mine.
41DSD69F5KL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Glacier-Proof-Leakproof-Travel/dp/B0001MQ8MG
Keeps cuppa hot for many hours, in fact, I usually put a bit of cold in so I can actually drink it without waiting 2 hours!
Handle hooks nicely over stuff and the krab is useful to hook it onto packs/harnesses/vehicles/etc.
Mine is 4 years old and has a fair few dents, still going strong.
Oh, it doesn't leak... but be careful of vacuum build-up, if you let the contents go cold.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE