Thermarest Neoair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Anyone using these?? Need a new sleeping mat & these seem to be getting good reviews - bloody expensive though!!!!

Any views appreciated, cheers.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They are expensive, I didn't really want to spend that much on a mat when my regular Thermorest does the job. Luckily I was given one for Christmas, and can honestly say that if I wrecked it, I would definately buy another.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
The Airo 180 is almost identical, a few grams heavier but half the price

Regular Mattress:
Size: 51 x 183cm (20 x 72in)
Weight: 410g
Rolled Size: 23 x 10cm (9 x 4.0in)
R-Value: 2.5
Thickness: 6.3cm (2.5in)

Airo 180
Weight (gr): 582
Thickness (cm): 2.5
Real World Packed Weight (gr) 653
Dimensions (cm): 180 x 51 x 2.5
Min Rolled size (cm): 28 x 13
Realistic Rolled size (cm): 28 x 15
33D Mini Ripstop Nylon
Expected R value 2.5*

Care to explain HOW?

therma rest regular is 3 cms longer, weighs 410gms with a rolled size of 23x10, thickness 6.3cm

180 is 180cm, 653 gms packed weight, rolled size 28x13 and a thickenss of 2.5cm

so its less than half the thickness and 243gms heavier!!!

the 180 is comparable to the thermarest prolite series maybe, but not the neo air range.

would def consider it if i wanted a thermarest prolite but not as a substitute for the neo air.... not even close.

Last edited:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The Neoair is different- it's not self inflating like the Aplkit mats.

I've got one and initially felt an idiot for spending nearly a ton on a rather fragile looking lilo.
However, the hype is probably true: it is stupidly lightweight with atiny, tiny pack size and far more comfortable than even a thick self inflating mat. Warmth is about the same as a thin self inflating mat - I'm not sure how it will perform in winter.

Overall I am very pleased.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
the only issue from an expedition point of view that has deterred me from buying one so far is that if you pop a self inflating matters, it still retains a portion of its warmth rating, if you pop a neo air then it as useful as a plastic bag....

as my expeds usually last six months, this worries me a lot....resupply does not come easily....

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
the only issue from an expedition point of view that has deterred me from buying one so far is that if you pop a self inflating matters, it still retains a portion of its warmth rating, if you pop a neo air then it as useful as a plastic bag....

as my expeds usually last six months, this worries me a lot....resupply does not come easily....

That is the problem. I'm off the Venezuela soon, and it won't be going with me. Too many spiky things would render it useless within a day. For shrafting out in the UK though, I find it perfect as the pack down size is important to me.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
everyones response seems to be, o i just use a rollmat underneath.... pfffft id rather just use a rollmat! why carry 800gms instead of four... i understand the comfort factor i really do, maybe im just used to being uncomfortable, if i was in the jungle id use a hammock anyway... much better for you!

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Cheers for the views!! Hmmm, don't know what to do now. The burstability bothers me a bit but the pack size & comfort sounds great. I shall have to have think.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cheers for the views!! Hmmm, don't know what to do now. The burstability bothers me a bit but the pack size & comfort sounds great. I shall have to have think.

Don't worry about teh burstability, tekkingnut and I were just thinking about long term use in extreme environments. It is robust enough for most things.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Don't worry about teh burstability, tekkingnut and I were just thinking about long term use in extreme environments. It is robust enough for most things.

You trying to say I'm some sort of camping pansy, mate??? I'll have you know it's plenty extreme where I go....the Lake District. There's many a time that I've had to trek almost 100mtrs to the shower & jacuzzi block. Not to mention having to tab almost a full quarter mile to the nearest pub. I'm no stranger to extreme enviroments either - I'm English & live in Fife!!! There's no harsher environment than that!!!:D

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You trying to say I'm some sort of camping pansy, mate??? I'll have you know it's plenty extreme where I go....the Lake District. There's many a time that I've had to trek almost 100mtrs to the shower & jacuzzi block. Not to mention having to tab almost a full quarter mile to the nearest pub. I'm no stranger to extreme enviroments either - I'm English & live in Fife!!! There's no harsher environment than that!!!:D

:lmao: Just saying that they should be OK in most places except jungle, arid desert and thorny Namibian scrub :lmao:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
its actually places where there are major temperature shifts that appear to be their downfall.... if you are camping at altitude or in the desert and blow it up while the sun is up, then as the temperature plummets it will deflate noticeably from what ive read. the other problem is the opposite... if its cold when you blow it up and you fill it up, then it will pop as the temperature increases. i dont think i can take the chance with something like that...

fife is bad bottom, as is the lake district and im no stranger to either. would you want to risk lying it on rough ground though?

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
There's a huge thread on the neoair v Exped over on Outdoor magic http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/27213/ , and another one on a similar topic http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/37619/V/1/SP/ There's also one or two mentions of the the new http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/39155/Alpkit mats.

Since I'm still waiting for my old Thermarest Classic to die, I'm just window shopping. I must admit that the Alpkit stuff is looking good for the sort of money I can justify, but if you look at the reviews http://www.rei.com/product/781094, the Neoair seems to be worth it in terms of size and weight (although the Exped mats get great feedback too). The downside is of course that if it leaks, you don't sleep...and its about £80. And you pay extra for the stuff sac.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE