Themarest. Worth it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
To answer your question, short answer:: yes they are!

Long answer: In fact bring both (buy both over there, don't hassle with taking the bulky foam pad in your luggage). they're cheap over there. Who knows, maybe they even have camp beds for you :eek:

In any case have lots of fun and take loads of pictures (and post them)!!!

ATB

Mike

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
11Bcactui.jpg
prickly-pear-cactus.jpg

goatheads-thorns.jpg
5160055.jpg

Trte1f.gif

Some places it's hard to spit and not hit something sharp and pokey. :)
fig99.jpg

Great_Basin_rattlesnake_NPS.jpg
azblack7_2.jpg

;)

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
spoilsport ;)
Many people get on just fine with a thermarest out here. gregs656 mentioned "working" so I assume gearing up on a budget is important. :dunno: Foam pads are cheap especially if you already own one. I would love a thermarest but that money is going towards "free" time.

:lmao:Check out some of the videos on Youtube for "jumping cactus". I can't find one without profanity, so no link...:lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do think my exped down mat is the best thing I've ever used as a camping mat, but, I clear very carefully under it :)

As someone who has managed to get herself well and truly skewered through an ordinary closed cell mat (gorse, set up camp in the dark and wet) I'd still advise clearing the ground kind of carefully anyway, especially if there are cactus around.

Sounds like probably the most useful bit of kit you could acquire would be a wee brush :D

Have a great time there though :D Send us photos ? :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I went for the Thermarest as there is no other type which has the combined benefits of the NeoAir.

A Multimat Summit XL 12mm pad on an AMK Heatsheet and Tyvek base completes a really comfortable, lightweight and well insulated set up which fulfills my specific needs.

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
A down mat? Why down, and how does is it, on top of the foam, or just down on it's own? Does it not get a bit wet in temperate places, having down next to the ground?

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
When you get out to that area be sure and check out Chaco Canyon. One of the most interesting sites in North America.
That it is sir, that it is:D.
04.jpg
chacocanyon4.jpg

The Sun Dagger atop Fajada Butte.
http://www.solsticeproject.org/

"The Mystery of Chaco Canyon", narrated by Robert Redford. Highly recommend watching this film; six 9minute clips...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ySuKApCDc

"Prehistoric Astronomy in the Southwest"
http://books.google.com/books?id=7q...&resnum=4&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

220px-Chaco_canyon_pueblo_bonito_petroglyphs.jpg
220px-Chaco_Canyon_Pueblo_Bonito_doorways_NPS.jpg

oops...a little off-topic.
Thermarest yada yada, foam pad blah blah.;)
If you can make it out to Chaco, definately do so.

springer5

Mar 9, 2010
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi gregs656

I am fairly new to all this, but I have two thermarests, bothof which I have used several times now. I have a 3/4 ProLite for lightweight use and a rather heavier fulllength TrailPro for "basecamp" use. I'm very pleased with both of them. They seem to be well made and very comfy.

Some of the guys who've replied to your thread have a lot of experience and have given me some seriously good advice in the past when I've been starting out with new gear. Thermarests are well-liked on this forum by a lot of people who know their stuff. I'm certainly pleased with mine.

I hope that helps you decide, and very best of luck with your job. It sounds brilliant. I'd lovce to see the pics when you get back home.

Cheers

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
And if you can, do get a chair conversion kit for your Thermarest, makes all the difference on a long trip being able to sit comfy. My wife and I took them trekking in Morocco and were bthe only ones in the group with them, after two nights people were starting to look decidedly green.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I got so wrapped up in extolling the virtues of Chaco Canyon that I forgot to mention that I have had a Thermarest for well over 20 years. Still going strong, and never been patched.

I have never had the opportunity to test one like Toddy discussed. It sounds good.

A Thermarest or any other camping type mattress is not going to deliver an "at home" sleeping experience, but I think they work quite well.

An interesting thing is that the first thread I ever read on here where they were mentioned, had a lot of people naysaying them. I seem to recall the main opposition to them was 1. too big and bulky. There is some truth there. If I was going to do a lot of hiking, I would probably just get an army pad. 2. many people were afraid that a spark from a fire would burn a hole in them. I think if you are going to sleep near an open fire this should be a concern. 3. some people expressed fear that a thorn or sharp stick would do it in. Well, I suppose this is always a possibilty, but if you clean the ground first and use a drop cloth I think you will be alright. I always have been. In the case of a sleeping platform, if you choose to build one, your would have to be very careful about leaving any parts of trimmed off branches, as they would be like a spear.

Just use common ordinary precautions and I think you will encounter no problems.

Good luck, your trip sound like fun.

Some U.S. troops (particularly those from heavily populated urban areas) sometimes, I am told, experience agoraphobia, in flat, wide open areas like Iraq, that have an endless view of the horizon. This only lasts a few days and goes away.

The endless expanse of the so-called Four Corners area, can have a similar effect on some people. The sheer emptiness of it can be sort of mind-boggling. I have had sailors tell me it is reminiscent of the sea. To anyone coming from a crowded country, this will be a real "geography shock" to coin a phrase.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm wondering about thermarests ... [snip] ... thoughts?

I think most of it's been said, foam mats work OK but they just aren't as plush as a Thermarest. Like many others here I've used foam mats, and I've used Thermarest brand thermarests for decades. I've never had to repair one, even those I've had for over 20 years. Thesedays mine get used less often than I'd like, maybe 20-30 nights a year - it varies - but I never even think about a puncture except when I'm setting up camp. Then I make sure there's nothing likely to puncture me in the night, such as thorns or cutlery.

Are they worth it?, you asked. Well it depends how much you value your comfort and your money, perhaps how much of them you're used to. If one of mine got a puncture I'd replace it immediately, so I'd say an unqualified yes, but I don't know your stance on the comfort/money balance. IMHO they're one of life's little luxuries, like having a pottery mug instead of one made of stainless steel.

There are just a few of issues that seems to have slipped by.

First issue: I have two, both 3/4 length (I wouldn't bother with longer for reasons that have been covered) but they are quite different. One folds lengthways once before it's rolled up, the other doesn't. I usually take the one which folds first if I'm on the bike because it's easier to find a space for it, but it's much more awkward to get rolled up and back into its pack than the one which doesn't fold. If you're going to be setting up camp in some place and staying there for a good while then it probably doesn't matter, but if you're setting up in a different spot every night, well, to me at least it taints the morning experience ever so slightly. I find breaking camp the least pleasurable bit of the whole thing anyway, that's just one of the things I don't like about it, but maybe I'm obsessive. :)

Second issue: They're slippy! I have no problem when I use one in my bivi bag but if I use a tent I daren't camp on even the slightest slope or I'll be sliding off it all night. In my darker moments I've seriously considered sticking some safety pins through the danged thing so my sleeping bag will stay on it. It's worse if you use a bag which has a man-made fibre outer, and if you're going to be sleeping in sub-zero conditions I expect you will be. I can't remember the last time I saw a cotton one anyway. My SO made a cotton 'shroud' which can go inside my bag or outside it, that can help with some friction but it weighs nearly as much as the sleeping bag and it's as bulky so it rarely goes out with me on the bike.

Third issue: You shouldn't leave them packed for any great length of time. You need somewhere to have them unrolled and inflated if they won't be in use for a while. They take a while to inflate themselves, but as has been said don't be tempted to help by blowing into them.

Have fun, and don't be afraid to take a couple of hot water bottles. :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Theremarest is a good brand and I would not bother with Alpkits or the others who either copy Thermarest or have a foam mat with the body contact areas consisting of thermarest type inflating pads. They are inferior in every way IMHO. Alpkits are rather heavy like the original thermarests, Also ALpkit are running down their stocks as from June they will be replacing with something new.

Pacific outdoors do a few good mats http://pacoutdoor.com/sleeping-pads.

The Exped down mats have the down sealed into the mat and you use a built in pump to fill it thus avoiding your moisture laden breathe from preventing the down from lofting within the airspace. They are a well regarded mat for cold weather camping. We are talking the Yellowstone snow shoeing, ski trekking types of temperatures. Serious kit. Serious price and serious comfort.

Buy everything out there which IMHO means TAR or PAC inflating pads. Avoid Neo Airs as they are really just for backpacking and not long term use out in the wilds IMHO.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Ged is right, they are slippery! I think I have found a solution for that, but I haven't tested it yet. Anyway, here it is for what its worth:

Go to any store that sells area rugs. You will find that they sell a rubbery looking material, that sort of looks woven, to place between a hardwood floor and the rug. The drill is to cut it just slightly smaller than the rug, put it on the floor and put the rug on top. The rug will NOT slide around any longer.

I bought some of this material , but havent tried it yet. I'm positive it will work. Also the weight of it is virtually negligible.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I actually have a huge car boot size non slip mat I bought cheap years a go because I thought it would come in handy one day, Maybe I should take an appropriate sized piece with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE