The Wilderness Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Droidy

May 7, 2023
Ringwood
Is anyone else going to the Wilderness Gathering in August bank Holiday?
Plan A is hammock in the woods for me, had to miss it last year (motorbike accident)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've had pretty much the same area for so long, I've gotten very possessive, there are a few of us that get upset if we loose our special spots, but don't let that worry you too much. We don't bite very hard, and rarely draw blood. :)

Reactions: Droidy

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
Just to clarify, it is the weekend before bank holiday 17th-20th August. Those planning to camp in the woods should book soon as there are limited spots in there and a lot are already taken.
Roger

Reactions: Droidy and ESpy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Finaly got a lift sorted, (bike out of action and problems with my back making riding almost impossible) ticket bought yesterday, hurrah! I'm going.

Reactions: benbee

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, I'm packed, and raring to go. Still waiting on a nitise 9 for my ridgeline, as despite a rotor cuff injury that has been bugging me the past two weeks on top of everything else, I'm determined to finaly get the ridgeline up with no help this time!! Looks like it could be a wet one....

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well, I'm packed, and raring to go. Still waiting on a nitise 9 for my ridgeline, as despite a rotor cuff injury that has been bugging me the past two weeks on top of everything else, I'm determined to finaly get the ridgeline up with no help this time!! Looks like it could be a wet one....
I started using those, the small ones. They’re great once you’re familiar with them, a bit like knots I suppose. Last time I tried to use one after a few years, I ended up using my phone to Google how they were rigged. :facepalm:

• Love
Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I started using those, the small ones. They’re great once you’re familiar with them, a bit like knots I suppose. Last time I tried to use one after a few years, I ended up using my phone to Google how they were rigged. :facepalm:

Yes, they look confusing don't they? If you were handed one without being told what it was, you'd have a hard time working out what to use it for.
I watched a blackie Thomas silver wolves video that was talking about adaptions for the "older or less able" bushcrafter.
He featured a couple of ridgeline solutions for those with the inability to look up to see how to tie knots properly, or with restricted movement, It seemed like a great solution for me, with my inability to keep my arms raised up long enough to tie knots properly.
I realy like his can do attitude, rather than (as I've had here on occasion) say to give up and do something else instead like sit around and carve a spoon, which I do anyway.... as do many younger people.
There is always a solution if you care to look and think about it, instead of dismiss as impossible, or just give up.
Adapt, survive, and prosper!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I wish I could come.

But still busy with work and my dissertation.

Maybe next year . It would be good to catch up again. Maybe do a camp on the moor like we planned (two years ago now, how time flies!) but didn't get round to.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Brilliant time had at the wilderness gathering this year. It was a bit damp, and the site rather muddy. But not too bad. Sunday dawned bright and sunny as we packed up ready for home, so it was nice to pack up dry gear.
I learned a lot this year, my favorite being making fishing hooks from Hawthorn thorns, and spruce roots. I'm not very good at it, but I've some roots and thorns so plenty to practice with.
I've also been told a way to try using a bow drill with a wrecked left shoulder, so will be trying this out this week.
Spent too much money on new kit replacing worn out stuff, and a new grill for the fire... about time I had a real one instead of the old grill pan insert. Now I have legs, instead of having to find something to support it.

News is, the farm has been sold, so the gathering is uncertain for next year. I spoke to the staff, and they are in negotiations with the new owners for next year to go ahead, so fingers crossed things will continue as before in the future.
It would be a shame to loose this wonderfull site and event after 21 years .
I've been going there for 26 years every summer, as I used to do the pow wows before wilderness started. I can't imagine not spending time there any more, so a bit of a shadow over the weekend.
All in all a brilliant weekend yet again... and no complaints about the music like the wild in us debacle! In fact I even wobbled around on my stick for a few minutes, causing friends to almost fall off their seats to see Woody "dancing".!!!!!

Reactions: Roger

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE