The Wild Food Year Book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Hadn't seen this before but on a recent trip back to UK spotted 'The Wild Food Year Book' in WH Smiths. Which is unsurprising, as it is marked as 'Exclusive to WH Smith'

ISBN: 1-873098-84-7. £9.99

It's from the publishers of 'Country Kitchen', a magazine (http://www.countrykitchenmag.com/) and seems to be a collection of articles (I could be wrong).

I have to say, there are some really good recipes in the book - did anyone in the forum have a hand in making/producing this?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi Nomad of Soul
Which branch did you find it - my nearest is Cardigan but Haverfordwest is a place I often visit while work takes me to Pembroke now and again. Any copies left?

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
Not Pembrokeshire but there were 4copies in Bluewater Shopping Centre on Saturday afternoon for all the Kent members. Sorry that should be 3copies because I bought one. :D

It's quite good, not really bushcraft orientated in approach but lots of info none the less. Slightly disappointing that there are no winter foods mentioned especially given the time of year, but then I guess it wouldn't be on offer.

Changing the topic slightly I also picked up:
Mushroom Hunting (Collins Need to Know?) by Patrick Harding
and
Native British Trees (Wooden Books Gift Book) by Andy Thompson

Both have some useful info for the budding bushcrafter.

RJP

Hi John, I got my copy in Carmarthen the other day, it was the only copy i saw but i dint really check, if i see a copy in Haverfordwest i will get it for you. Good to know there are other like minded people down this way, do you know of any clubs or meets in south wales?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There are a couple of mad bushies in Haverfordwest who have contacted me - I took one canoeing on the Tivy and havn't heard from him since.... (are you still out there bowdrill?) and in the Tivy Valley we have a certain 'Tony' who you may have heard of...(a fairly keen bushcrafter from all acounts!) and I am sure there are more hiding in the bushes!
If you do find a copy at that price please do pick it up for me - I will not be able to get to any WHS except Cardigan for a while , and they do not have a visible copy!
Are you thinking of coming to the meet up being discussed for our area (see meet ups furum)?
It will be interesting to see what locals turn up!
John

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
My local newsagent has suddenly put about 10 copies of this book in the shop so I can
only assume that Blackheath has gone wild food crazy. I bought one just to see what it's
all about and it's very nice. Costs a penny under £10 though I see I should have gone to
WHSmith - mind you I am supporting my local shop! Lovely photos too and lots of
interesting and very detailed accompanying text.

Pheasant, rabbits, venison "how to"s, roadkill, foraging, the law, safety (both personal
and how to avoid dodgy meat etc.), lots on mushrooms and fruit. How to make jams,
recognise hedgerow weeds and the fact that you can use dandelions as saffron...

It's pretty good.
http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/books/gardening_books/the_wild_food_year_book/

I've also been enjoying Fergus the Forager's website:
http://www.wildmanwildfood.com/index.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE