The West Highland Way a warning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

daozen

This week I attempted, along with my mrs, the WHW (wild camping), started on Saturday was hoping to finish on Friday (today). Anyway got to Tyndrum when we decided to call it a day.

I was a little disappointed because a lot of it seemed to be on roads and/or paved paths. A lot of the rest was on very rocky paths like they've just dumped rocks on the path, maybe to stop erosion???

Not only that but I found out whilst walking it they've banned wild camping from Balmaha until after Rowardennan which kind of messed up our plans.

Anyway I would recommend a very padded set of waterproof footwear.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That is a pity, it starts to get interesting after Tyndrum, but then it has been a few years since I walked the route, there have probably been many changes since. No doubt the rocks are to cut down on erosion, I know that this is a problem on many of the popular walks up there.

:(

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's a shame, just getting to the good bit too.

The camping ban on the east shore of Lomond was fairly common knowledge so I'm surprised it wasn't picked up in your planning.

D

daozen

Its been that way for a while so I'm as surprised as you it never came up, first I knew of it was the rangers all 7 of them repeatedly informing me we couldn't camp. I've heard its better after Tyndrum but we were time barred and the weather turned very bad that day and apparently the day after it was snow and hail which is no good on the more exposed 2nd half. I'll be taking a 2 person bothy next time. Your feet certainly take a battering! I might consider quick drying trainers.

My £40 eurohike tent was surprisingly brilliant 2 full nights of rain and it didn't leak once.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
This week I attempted, along with my mrs, the WHW (wild camping), started on Saturday was hoping to finish on Friday (today). Anyway got to Tyndrum when we decided to call it a day.

I was a little disappointed because a lot of it seemed to be on roads and/or paved paths. A lot of the rest was on very rocky paths like they've just dumped rocks on the path, maybe to stop erosion???

Not only that but I found out whilst walking it they've banned wild camping from Balmaha until after Rowardennan which kind of messed up our plans.

Anyway I would recommend a very padded set of waterproof footwear.

After Tyndrum the West Highland Way follows the Old Military roads, which is why it is rocky underfoot. The old roads have been kept well maintained in parts although in days of yore when they were in use they were much wider. I do like the West Highland Way but it has many bad points. It is far too popular for my liking, for although I like meeting other walkers from time to time, having 3 or 4 large parties of 20 or so Belgian teenagers can get quite tiresome when you wish for some solitude. In the beautiful Glen Coe and Glen Orchy, it also cuts too close to the road, and the permitted camping spot at the back of Kingshouse is filthy and covered with the used toilet rolls, beer bottles and litter of selfish and thoughtless campers. I actually came across an entire tent inner someone had decided to wipe their **** on and leave in the woods, what does that say about their respect for this beautiful environment they came to enjoy? Although rocky underfoot, my favourite parts have to be from Bridge of Orchy and down the way into Glen Coe, and the fine view from the top of the Devils Staircase is worth the laden climb. I would definitely walk it again, but I would perhaps think along the same lines of Ronald Turnbull in his book 'Not The West Highland Way' and deviate from the route taking in the high tops and footpaths seldom used by people sticking to the paths, such as the path in Lairig Gartain which runs to Dalness, South West of Buachaille Etive Mor.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
One downside of well used paths is that they get so eroded they have to be relaid with stone - which is rather hard on the feet. I walked the Lairig Ghru last week and these stone paths are hard and unyielding. And, like Adam says of the WHW, I thought it was rather busy.

The weather locally since Monday has been pretty grim. I know it's Scotland and therefore wet, but even so, I'm sure it's worse than usual May/June weather. We had pretty heavy rain here in Crieff, not far from Tyndrum.

So well done for giving it a go, but I don't blame you for quitting. If the weather stops it being fun, then why not curtail the trip? There's always another time and another trail.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Just as a matter of interest, what are the penalties for being caught doing no harm whilst wild camping?

You do not want to know!
thewickerman_lordsummerisle.jpg

:)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
lol ace. That might be a good idea for some of the less respectful campers out there.. lol As it is up to 500 notes can be relieved from you for camping in restricted areas.

EDIT, although, most likely you could just be moved on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE