The Vikings Are Coming!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
If you're within striking distance of the British Museum the dates are now up for this:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/about_...ss_releases/2013/vikings_life_and_legend.aspx

"The first major exhibition on Vikings at the British Museum for over 30 years.Features many new archaeological discoveries and objects never seen before in the UK alongside important Viking Age artefacts from the British Museum’s own collection and elsewhere in Britain and Ireland.
New interpretations place warfare and warrior identity at the centre of what it meant to be a Viking; cultural contact was often violent, and the transportation of looted goods and slaves reflects the role of Vikings as both raiders and traders."

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
You would certainly hope that the BM will do it justice.

My wife will certainly spot any errors so I'll report back in due course.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
It doesn't look like it's a travelling exhibition.

These things take so long to plan for that I guess the BM will be the only venue.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thought this was going to be a trailer for Bernard Cornwells new book!

The museums are the only reason I'd visit London.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Is there anything else in London???

Well there are the cathedrals, the art galleries, the theatres, the house of commons, tower of London, Saville Row, the oldest Bellfounders (and the oldest existing company) in the UK, Buck House etc etc. amazing choice of ethnic food, Chinatown, banging nightlife. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to live there but to write the place off or only value it for it's museums is just daft.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well there are the cathedrals, the art galleries, the theatres, the house of commons, tower of London, Saville Row, the oldest Bellfounders (and the oldest existing company) in the UK, Buck House etc etc. amazing choice of ethnic food, Chinatown, banging nightlife. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to live there but to write the place off or only value it for it's museums is just daft.

Maybe they were being ironic but I agree with you; there is so much to take from the place if you go with an open mind and open eyes.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I am a country boy from North Wales who has lived in London for over 20 years. I am no big fan of the place but I recognise it has many qualities. It is incredibly diverse and tolerant of different creeds, it has a massive range of culture available (maybe too much), there is some very interesting ancient history to be accessed and there is a surprising amount of green space. It is also huge, impersonal, unfriendly and encourages life to be lived at 200mph. Give me the countryside any day.
What gets my goat though is people who slag it off without knowing the place or who do so out of envy that it is such a dominant influence on this country. Keep an open mind please.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looking at the interest there is for this exhibition it would be a nice idea to have a day we all agree to go to it as a group from BcUK.

Any thoughts on that?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Seeing as I have yet to break my duck and meet anyone me and Mrs Stringmaker could be up for that.

The only caveat for us would be booking travel and possibly time off work.

I think a lot of us will be having to do that.

The other thing is we have to book tickets for the exhibition so the date has to be agreeable for everyone but it's not that hard to do :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I think a lot of us will be having to do that.

The other thing is we have to book tickets for the exhibition so the date has to be agreeable for everyone but it's not that hard to do :)

Me and Mrs Stringmaker are lucky there; we were given museum membership as a present so we get in for nowt :)

As you say though, we still need to pick a specific day/time slot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE