The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
s'étonner;993336 said:
Any idea about these?

I found this one in a pasture and think someone may have kicked it over!

IMG_1174.jpg

Looks like meadow waxcap.

These were found on a hilly/rocky area near the pastures:

IMG_1155.jpg

Can't be sure from that photo, but I'd guess woolly milkcap.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Bushwhacker

1. one of the brown russulas
2. brown birch bolete
3. Sulphur tuft. Velvet shanks are much more orange, slimy and have tough, thin stalks.
4. can't say from that photo but I'd guess it is either clouded funnel or the miller.
5. Armillaria (honey fungus). Probably A. cepistipes. (definately not A. mellea)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Bushwhacker

1. one of the brown russulas
2. brown birch bolete
3. Sulphur tuft. Velvet shanks are much more orange, slimy and have tough, thin stalks.
4. can't say from that photo but I'd guess it is either clouded funnel or the miller.
5. Armillaria (honey fungus). Probably A. cepistipes. (definately not A. mellea)

Cheers Geoff.
I've always told myself I'd never get into fungi but it's starting to reel me in!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Cheers Geoff.
I've always told myself I'd never get into fungi but it's starting to reel me in!

Why did you tell yourself never to get into fungi? It's dangerous if you get overconfident, but you don't have to eat anything you aren't sure of. Personally I've always found fungi fascinating, ever since I first saw dry rot fruiting when I was a child. They are just so weird. :D

Bare Bones

Oct 31, 2010
Cardiff
Hi
The 2 pics below were both taken on the weekend and both show fungi growing in a bark covered tub used to grow rhubarb.
There are two double growths in the pot. When I took the pics I thought they were both of the same species but having looked at the pics there seems to be a difference in the shape/edge of cap between the two.
Are they one and the same?
Any ideas on ID?

IMGP1607.jpg

IMGP1611.jpg

Cheers
BB

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hi Geoff, can you confirm the identity or otherwise of the Helvella lacunosa that I tentatively identified at the top of this page? Would like to know if I was right, or even close. Interesting looking fungus.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi Geoff, can you confirm the identity or otherwise of the Helvella lacunosa that I tentatively identified at the top of this page? Would like to know if I was right, or even close. Interesting looking fungus.

It was a Helvella, but I can't confirm the species ID. Sometimes white helvellas go brown. You are probably right, but I can't confirm it.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Here's some things I spotted on wednesday. Recognise a few of them, but any ID's would be very welcome, particularly the slimy, alien-looking chappy on the right in number 5!

1)
IMG_1191.jpg

2)
IMG_1196.jpg

3)
IMG_1194.jpg

4)
IMG_1195.jpg

5)
IMG_1188.jpg

6)
IMG_1186.jpg

7)
IMG_1185.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
1) Slender parasol (Macrolepiota mastoidea). Might also be M. konradii - not sure from that photo.
2) Clouded Funnel (again)
3&4) Butter Cap (Collybia butyracea)
5) Some sort of bolete. The other thing is just another bolete covered in another sort fungus. The fungus that is attacking it does have a name, but I can't remember it.
6&7) Wood Blewitt

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Only meeeee.....tried browsing first eighty posts and given up .hard work with a SE xperia mini.

This was found yesterday in some pine woods....
DSC00023-1-1.jpg

And this today in beech/oak wood....

DSC00027-3.jpg

DSC00028-4.jpg

DSC00029-2.jpg

And I grabbed a load of horse hoof......is amateur worth effort of making ?
cheers

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
There, I learn something every time I view this thread. I didn't know slippery jacks bruised blue, despite picking them often enough. ::):

You're right. They don't normally bruise blue. I guess they could be bay boletes, but they don't half look slimy for bay boletes - plus I'm seeing slippery jacks all over the place at the moment and I've seen about one bay bolete all year...

I need my nose to be sure. Bay boletes have a distinctive smell.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Thanks as usual Geoff , but.......the flesh was yellow and the surface didn't look like pictures I've seen of slippery jacks. Plus the stem brown ? The cap was nearer to 6" than 3.... not in coniferous wood either. Does that help ? Cheers

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Thanks as usual Geoff , but.......the flesh was yellow and the surface didn't look like pictures I've seen of slippery jacks. Plus the stem brown ? The cap was nearer to 6" than 3.... not in coniferous wood either. Does that help ? Cheers

Yeah it's not a slippery jack. Stem is all wrong. Bad call on my part - not paying attention.

I think it's a very wet and rather bulky-capped Bay Bolete

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There, I learn something every time I view this thread. I didn't know slippery jacks bruised blue, despite picking them often enough. ::):

Geoff, the above was about as near as I dared to saying "Are you sure?". Bay bolete was my guess (after looking in Phillips, or I wouldn't have had a clue), but I hate it when people challenge me in my area of expertise (spiders) so I was reluctant to do it to you.

Thing is, if someone shows me a picture of a spider, I can usually say "Can't identify it from a picture". Kudos to you for putting yourself up for criticism so often.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Thanks Geoff , what put me off assuming it was a.bay was the narrow stem compared to the picture in Paul sterry,s book. I've got Rogers mushroom app on my phone but its hard work getting used to it. Thanks again and it's the first time seeing a fly agaric at that stage. I'll be monitoring it as it grows to help with my knowledge. Thank you Sir.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE