The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
My initial thoughts are that it looks like a Lepista/Rhodocybe. Maybe R. popinalis, which grows on sand dunes?? I've never seen it. And it might be something else entirely...

Don't know. :)

Thanks Geoff, I can't find anything similar. The R. popinalis is the closest. I'll see if it has a mealy smell next time I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Thanks again Geoff, your expertise is much appreciated.

I seem to spend half my life with my head stuck in Rodger Phillip's book at the moment. I'm hooked and it's frustratingly addictive!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I seem to spend half my life with my head stuck in Rodger Phillip's book at the moment. I'm hooked and it's frustratingly addictive!

41d9e5c1264f7e16da4e5a968322e232ef7f291717a259d0fecb8478426c58c45g.jpg

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
CameraZOOM-20110831174431-1.jpg

CameraZOOM-20110831174431-1.jpg

2011-10-10195036.jpg

2011-10-10195016.jpg

eyup folks.... Sorry for a possible one that has already been identified ? I don't own a pc, just this old phone and the signal is crap at moment.

I would have waited but I'm keen to eat summat fo nowt toneet.

I can't load some of the pictures already submitted, but I uploadEd an saved mine earlier. Weve looked in Paul sterry's book an nearest is shaggy parasol.

I know where there is a few to be had if they are the edible ones? and belive they need frying well ? cheers folks.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Yes, that's a shaggy parasol. I'm not sure that cooking it well will make much difference. This species is known to cause gastric upsets in some people, well-cooked or not.

I'm just glad somebody has posted a picture of a mushroom. I hang around on several website where people post mushroom pics for ID, and in the last two weeks everything has gone VERY quiet.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Yes, that's a shaggy parasol. I'm not sure that cooking it well will make much difference. This species is known to cause gastric upsets in some people, well-cooked or not.

I'm just glad somebody has posted a picture of a mushroom. I hang around on several website where people post mushroom pics for ID, and in the last two weeks everything has gone VERY quiet.

I'm out on an organised fungi forage this weekend so I'll hopefully have loads to test you with. Usually, where we're going there's loads of orange peel fungus.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
cheers , geoff that's much appreciated. we will have half each toneet and see if either of us get cramps
thankyou

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Here is one I found today. The pure white colour stood out well in depths of the wood.

1af1e3ba.jpg

6fc1b2ec.jpg

dea8f1ae.jpg

b6e4e1f4.jpg

Found growing on birch stumps in a birch and spruce wood in north east Scotland. The bigger ones were 120mm or so in size.

I thought they may be some sort of oyster mushroom, but the flesh is very thin with concentric rings in the margin. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
They look a bit like the pale oyster (Pleurotus pulmonarius) but I suspect these are actually "angels wings" (Pleurocybella porrigens.) These are rare in most of the UK, but more common in the Highlands. Once thought to be edible, now suspected to be poisonous, possibly deadly.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE