The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Geoff, that Gomphidius rutilus (the picture after the Miller) - my own id of that would have been that it is a normal Deceiver. I got the others, although I wouldn't have been sure about Miller without seeing the gills.

Purely for my education, what feature(s) did you use to make that Id?

Thanks.

I'm never sure about the Miller without using my nose. Twice. ;)

As for the brown one...yes it could be a Laccaria. Deceivers most definitely live up to their name and regularly convince everybody, myself included, that they are something else. Gomphidius rutilus is also quite variable, which doesn't help. They can easily be distinguished by cutting the stem open. If it is the Gomphidius then there will be yellow staining at the bottom of the stem. Why did I go for Gomphidius rather than Laccaria? I'm not sure...something about the colour and the shape of the cap just looks more like the Gomphidius to me. I also know that this species is turning up at the moment. Also, the Gomphidius grows with pines. There appears to be some pine needles in the leaf litter.

Laccaria is generally a bit of a nightmare genus when it comes to IDs. Apart from L. amethystina, which is easy because of the colour, there are a handful of species which look very like each other as well as being very variable and sometimes looking like all sorts of other things.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Young puffball? :dunno:

03102011704.jpg

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
On a bit of a tangent, i have Rodger Phillips book, the River Cottage handbook and a Collins mushrooms & Toadstools pocket guide. Can anyone recommend another with good photographs to cross reference with the ones I have already? I realise there are lots of options, but some have poor photos.

Thanks

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
On a bit of a tangent, i have Rodger Phillips book, the River Cottage handbook and a Collins mushrooms & Toadstools pocket guide. Can anyone recommend another with good photographs to cross reference with the ones I have already? I realise there are lots of options, but some have poor photos.

Thanks

Mark

The full Collins guide is quite good.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just come back from a (free) local authority session on fungi - mainly aimed at beginners and covered the main structural types. Really interesting.

The bloke running was a founder member - in 1980 - of the Leicestershire Fungi Study Group (so he has been actively loooking at fungi for over 30 years). He says he often finds fungi that he can't identify eg four on one visit to a wood last week.

I'm beginning to understand why people that the rest of us would regards as experts sometimes only eat fungi from the supermarket.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice65

Amethyst Deceiver
Spotted Toughshank
Not a Destroying Angel...The Miller: edible, excellent.
Gomphidius rutilus
Chanterelle*2
Can't tell from that shot
Tawny Grisette.

:)

Right, here's the one I forgot to post. Definitely NOT the Miller!!!

IMG_1085-1.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
The bloke running was a founder member - in 1980 - of the Leicestershire Fungi Study Group (so he has been actively loooking at fungi for over 30 years). He says he often finds fungi that he can't identify eg four on one visit to a wood last week.

I've been searching for edible species nearly as long, and have managed to find two in the last week that I've never eaten before. I find stuff I can't identify every time I go out - including stuff that is only identifiable with a microscope, stuff that might be identifiable without a microscope but I can't figure out what it is and stuff that I have no chance of identifying because it isn't in any of my books. If I'm lucky, I'll know somebody else who can tell me what they are.

I'm beginning to understand why people that the rest of us would regards as experts sometimes only eat fungi from the supermarket.

Many people who are knowledgeable about fungi from a botanical point of view don't have much experience of eating them.

Eating wild mushrooms is perfectly safe, provided you know precisely what it is that you are eating.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Right, here's the one I forgot to post. Definitely NOT the Miller!!!

IMG_1085-1.jpg

And that one is not a destroying angel either! :)

That's Amanita citrina, and it is supposedly edible...although absolutely not worth it due it being very easily confused with the deadly Amanitas and not smelling nice either. Those might be the white form A. citrina var. alba, which doesn't smell so bad but is even more easily confused with the deadlies.

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Just under a solitary Chestnut... Middle of a field.

Smell wise, I'm just recovering from man flu; so not much help sorry. They smell of earth and faint fungus/mushroom. Possibly very, very faint TCP.

They where only for observation anyway, so I'll dispose of them safely now.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
And that one is not a destroying angel either! :)

That's Amanita citrina, and it is supposedly edible...although absolutely not worth it due it being very easily confused with the deadly Amanitas and not smelling nice either. Those might be the white form A. citrina var. alba, which doesn't smell so bad but is even more easily confused with the deadlies.

Thanks, you know your stuff. :)

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
This one caught my eye today, purely because of the number of them and they looked quite tasty, although I'm sure that means they're probably poisonous. They were on Heath/dune grassland and growing in elongated groups of twenty or thirty.

569ea088-7b78-6bc3.jpg

569ea088-7ba2-0813.jpg

569ea088-7bbd-7ae5.jpg

569ea088-7bd4-ed12.jpg

569ea088-7bea-e188.jpg

I've no idea on this one. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Geoff, thanks for your detailed answer to my question earlier.

Much appreciated.

Now, where did I put those fieldies I was saving for a late night snack...?

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
These are causing me a bit of a dilemma. Both growing on sandy grassland next to each other.

I think this is Macrolepiota konradii.

c591765f.jpg

93d8e59d.jpg

03abc9ed.jpg

The ring is free to move on the stem, but this isn't mentioned in Rodger's book. It also states that the scales are large whereas the ones I have pictured are smaller and more regular.

Then there are slender parsasols growing alongside.

6f1660d1.jpg

bb57fe37.jpg

The ring on these is different and doesn't move. Stem is also more slender and there is a pronounced bump on top of the cap. The cap size of mature samples of both types are approx 12 - 15 cm.

The similarity in scale patterns is what is throwing me a little, particularly when other slender parasols in the area look like this

164091fa.jpg

The rings and slenderness / stockiness of stems is what seems to set them apart.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE