The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Here's one or two that I wouldn't mind an opinion on Geoff

Two views of the same fungus. Possibly Amanita excesla var. spissa? (someone else's suggestion. I thought it was a blusher).

Maybe. More likely to be var. excelsa. Need to check the base of the stem. Is it deeply rooting/buried? A. spissa has a base like a blusher. A. excelsa just keeps going down.

Amanita citrina?

Yes.

Don't know
15138790869_28f434d30b_b.jpg

http://www.geoffdann.co.uk/tag/sheathed-woodtuft/

I have these (terrible picture I know) as Blackening Russula, R. nigricans, but they might be old charcoal burners, and I even wondered about Ugly Milk cap L. turpis. Any opinion, however vague?

Looks like R. nigricans or one of about 5 other very similar species.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Maybe. More likely to be var. excelsa. Need to check the base of the stem. Is it deeply rooting/buried? A. spissa has a base like a blusher. A. excelsa just keeps going down.

http://www.geoffdann.co.uk/tag/sheathed-woodtuft/

Looks like R. nigricans or one of about 5 other very similar species.

Thank you. I didn't check the baseof the Amanita excelsa as I was just photographing. I will happily settle for A excelsa as it is new to me.

The sheathed woodtuft is interesting, and also new to me, at least as far as knowing what it is. I won't be eating any.

I will leave it at R. nigricans then, as it is hard for anyone to argue.

Thanks very much Geoff.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
heres a mushroom that nearly caught me out,is it a blusher or a panther cap? blusher is edible panther caps gonna fcuk up your day!
dunno! by fishfish_01, on Flickr

what is weird is that the white dots pretty much spell out Robin ,my eldest sons name!lol

Hi all I have a lot of pics of Fungi I will try my best not to flood this awesome thread with my pics but i found an interesting shroom the other day so I thought i'd post it. On this little cluster of mushrooms was I think an attached puffball I couldn't pick them or try to as it was on a sssi site to be sure they were fused.
tumblr_ncjxrmbUSs1tgi7tdo1_500.jpg
I know it's not the best pic.

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
I found a couple of new varieties to me that I'd appreciate an opinion on. They were all found in a Beech wood in Scotland

This is the first one which I'm pretty sure is some form of Tricholoma, but can't pin it down. White/grey gills with grey/brown cap and white stem - Grey Knight/= Ashen Knight? What do you think?:

BOMZDkDl.jpg

PUqxXaml.jpg

The second one looks like it might be some type of Inocybe, possibly the Pear fibercap?

ZQdh3DVl.jpg

Z5UImt0l.jpg

Z7y90w0l.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Spotted this one the other day, think its either a Helvella Crispa or Helvella Lactea?
Top.
DSC_1225_zpse70b1007.jpg

Lifting top to view underside.
DSC_1226_zpse5ca5bd7.jpg

These from a while ago, Penny Buns?
DSC_1008_zps8fd637b7.jpg

DSC_1006_zpscd50142c.jpg

DSC_1005_zps30db2327.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I found a couple of new varieties to me that I'd appreciate an opinion on. They were all found in a Beech wood in Scotland

This is the first one which I'm pretty sure is some form of Tricholoma, but can't pin it down. White/grey gills with grey/brown cap and white stem - Grey Knight/= Ashen Knight? What do you think?:

BOMZDkDl.jpg

PUqxXaml.jpg

The second one looks like it might be some type of Inocybe, possibly the Pear fibercap?

ZQdh3DVl.jpg

Z5UImt0l.jpg

Z7y90w0l.jpg

Yes, top one is a Tricholoma - not even going to try to work out which one from a picture. Bottom one is a Cortinarius, not Inocybe.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hard to say from the image but possibly Snowy meadow Cap? (camarophyllus niveus) there are a couple of poisonous varieties that are similar.

Snowy Meadow Cap? Where does that name come from?...never heard of it before. Haven't heard of Camarophyllus niveus either, but I'm guessing you are referring to Hygrocybe virginea (or Snowy Waxcap). In which it is definitely not, because that species has white gills.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not easy. It looks like an Agrocybe, but not obviously like any particular agrocybe. Might be a very young A. cylindracea. Any poplar nearby? Might be growing on buried dead wood...

This is pastureland that has been planted with new tree saplings in the last 5 years, so I wouldn't expect any dead wood, and no, no poplar nearby. Bramble is the nearest woody plant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE