The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Fungitron won't identity this :eek: growing on hard ground in a mostly birch wood.
6a9ebaja.jpg

8a3a7uvu.jpg

Smells sort of mealy
Cheers

And this? Boletus badius?
e7azuruq.jpg

9e9esu6u.jpg

Thanks again
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Bump ;)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
good looking celerics, at least something as done good this summer.

Geoff found your comment in dialy telegraph, you are becoming quite a celebrity.

What comment in the Daily Telegraph??

ETA: Found it using Google. Oddly enough, those are quotes I gave to a journalist on my local rag, The Argus. I have no idea how they found their way to the Telegraph, but I'm not complaining.

And the Daily Mail...

Last edited:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
good looking celerics, at least something as done good this summer.

Geoff found your comment in dialy telegraph, you are becoming quite a celebrity.

Like Geoff, I'm becoming a celebrity now, everyone in our house knows who I am now, took a while, a long while. :(

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Found a few Orange Birch Boletes this afternoon, first of the season, and a few oyster mushrooms at the weekend, but not sure about this one which I found today in grass by oak and birch.

From the brown cap and the swollen stem I could feel while in situ I thought it was a cep and couldn't see the colouring properly till I picked it. Think it may be a Summer Boletus but not sure ?

IMG_0255_zpsb0868da8.jpg

IMG_0254_zps4c976323.jpg

Cheers, Paul

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Found a few Orange Birch Boletes this afternoon, first of the season, and a few oyster mushrooms at the weekend, but not sure about this one which I found today in grass by oak and birch.

From the brown cap and the swollen stem I could feel while in situ I thought it was a cep and couldn't see the colouring properly till I picked it. Think it may be a Summer Boletus but not sure ?

IMG_0255_zpsb0868da8.jpg

IMG_0254_zps4c976323.jpg

Cheers, Paul

Looks like a Boletus appendiculatus, but I'm not 100% certain. It's not a species I see very often.

Found my first hedgehogs of the season today, plus five other edible species. Still a bit patchy though.

Last edited:

fungi2bwith

Feb 27, 2008
hampshire
I would agree with Geoff. I see B.Appendiculatus most years. I have found they tend to ocurr earlier in the year. Nothing ocurring here at the moment, though you finding these in Hants gives some hope.

Garry

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Yep, reckon so Garry, had a little bit of blue/green colouration setting in on the pores when cut up for the dryer, now safely bagged up with the Orange Birch Boletes for pasta sauces and casseroles :)

Good to find a few mushrooms at least, hopefully a little bit of rain early next week will help things along nicely....

Cheers, Paul

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
The weather forecast looks good for mushrooms from the middle of next week onwards. The temperature is going to nosedive and the south of the UK is going to be deluged on Sunday, apparently. That's all they need - everything is primed to go...

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Just a quick bump, it's on now or in 55 mins on C4+1.

If anyone is interested, I'm going to be mushrooming on the TV, and I've now found out some more information.

There is a new series starting tonight on Channel 4 called "Food Unwrapped". It goes out each of the next 8 mondays. Each episode contains two 15-minute stories exploring the realities of food production around the world. I don't know which of them it will be (not tonight's) but one of these stories is about wild mushroom soup, and I take the presenter foraging for mushrooms. I'll let people know when I find out which week I'm going to be on.

EDIT:

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/watch-what-you-eat

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Not my fault they got the science wrong on the voiceover! :)

The reason most wild mushrooms that can't be farmed can't be farmed is that they are symbiotic, not parasitic. But I guess that was a bit too complicated for them.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
The season's ramping up! Found a HUGE Chicken and a lot of Clitocybe nebularis, about 50 pickable Cramp balls, handful of lovely Chants, and a few blackening brittlegills.

I found this growing on it's lonesome the other week in deciduous woodland, when I saw it from a distance I thought Craterellus tubaeformis (Trumpet Chanterelle) Which I'm dying to find along with Craterellus cornucopioides (The Trumpet of Death)
initial thoughts are Clitocybe sp?

dsc06821e.jpg

dsc06823z.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I found this growing on it's lonesome the other week in deciduous woodland, when I saw it from a distance I thought Craterellus tubaeformis (Trumpet Chanterelle) Which I'm dying to find along with Craterellus cornucopioides (The Trumpet of Death)
initial thoughts are Clitocybe sp?

From that picture, I'd say you've found an even more elusive relative of those two. I think that might just be Pseudocraterellus undulatus/sinuosus.

Shame there was only one, and I have to sort of tick you off for picking it. I have only seen this species once. However, there was more than one: http://www.wibberley.org/fungiforaging/pseudocraterellus.htm

pseudocraterellus2.jpg

Last edited:

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Shame there was only one, and I have to sort of tick you off for picking it. I have only seen this species once. However, there was more than one: http://www.wibberley.org/fungiforaging/pseudocraterellus.htm

Oh No! :( I'm usually very good at not picking something I'm not sure on. You do right ticking me off!
In the woodland (used alot for coppice craft workshops) we also found (wasn't actively hunting, was workshopping) a single hedgehog (H. repandum) - and it was very early September, hardly anything else was out - so hopefully there are more now and I've not buggered it's chances of spreading :(

Thanks for the ID - It's obviously the first time I've seen it, and when I see it again I'll get some quality pictures and records for MushroomObserver.

I keep finding fairly rare stuff - The C. nebularis isn't that common (but I know 4 rings over 2m in diameter, over 30 specimens in each and only picked enough for a few portions) And the other week I found what could be a very rare Psilocybe liniformans variety - currently getting some microscopy and DNA sequencing done on it.

Have you any news on which monday you'll be on the box?

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Oh No! :( I'm usually very good at not picking something I'm not sure on. You do right ticking me off!
In the woodland (used alot for coppice craft workshops) we also found (wasn't actively hunting, was workshopping) a single hedgehog (H. repandum) - and it was very early September, hardly anything else was out - so hopefully there are more now and I've not buggered it's chances of spreading :(

It's more of a summer than autumn species, so it may have finished for the year.

I found loads of hedgehogs today, in just one place. And a rare Boletus parasiticus that I've never seen before.

I keep finding fairly rare stuff - The C. nebularis isn't that common

It's common as muck in Sussex. All over the place.

Have you any news on which monday you'll be on the box?

Last monday. It's on 4oD.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
It's more of a summer than autumn species, so it may have finished for the year.

There may be a chance I can revisit over the next week, will update if I can get over there.

I know of place where last year I picked over 200 H. rufescens, with many 100's more perfectly edible ones and loads of deer nibbled ones - but it's 35 miles away and I don't drive! :'( The same goes for 100's of huge chants.

It's common as muck in Sussex. All over the place.

That's good to know, 'cause it's very good to eat IMO. Phillips' Mushrooms (2006 edition) has it as "Very Rare in Britain" - obviously not!

Last monday. It's on 4oD.

Excellent, will give it a watch soon.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
That's good to know, 'cause it's very good to eat IMO. Phillips' Mushrooms (2006 edition) has it as "Very Rare in Britain" - obviously not!

No, and no. It's the white variant that is very rare in Britain (I have made the same mistake reading that page that you did, it is easy to do), and it smells/tastes mildly of vomit.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE