The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
These have popped up in my garden
5ec57f7c-308b-d56b.jpg

5ec57f7c-30a8-777a.jpg

5ec57f7c-30b8-864f.jpg

Any one ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Are these three different shrooms?

#1 Is definitely a Hygrocybe sp. (Waxcap) Maybe H. conica
#2 is also a Hygrocybe sp, again - most likely a H. conica but both could be another variety.
#3 Looks like a Mycena sp. of sorts, difficult to tell from the cap picture.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Some stuff that I do know they are:

Stinkhorns, Phallus impudicus. Lots of these around today. Seems a good year for them in my part of the world.
IMGP1599.jpg IMGP1600.jpg IMGP1602.jpg IMGP1598.jpg

Found the 'eggs' too.
IMGP1594.jpg IMGP1595.jpg

And some rather virulently coloured slime moulds. I saw at least 3 of these.
IMGP1603.jpg IMGP1604.jpg

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Great walk yesterday and was even better when I found this bad boy. A little research came up with what it was, a first for me but apparently quite common in America. I love fungi just for little weird gems like this.

Do you know what it is without Google? :)

It's like some splattered creatures across the forest floor. YUK. Apparently edible, if you like bitter nasty tasting acrid horrible roadkill.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
@ And some rather virulently coloured slime moulds. I saw at least 3 of these

Those would be dog vomit slime no? (Fuligo septica)

Seen a fair few recently, varying from that bright yellow to white to cream. There seems to be a lot about a the moment.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Those would be dog vomit slime no? (Fuligo septica)

Seen a fair few recently, varying from that bright yellow to white to cream. There seems to be a lot about a the moment.

No idea other than it is a slime mold, but I would imagine that this warm and wet weather has been great for them. All of the ones I saw were bright yellow.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Without google I think it's "Bleeding Tooth", which is an American relative of hedgehog fungus. Either that or a close relative. I didn't know it had invaded the UK. I also didn't think it was edible.

I did not know it was a relative of the hedgie, I will look into that. Speaking of hedgies, one of my favourite edibles ;-)

Correct however, well done! 15 years looking for mushrooms and I have never seen one of these and out of all my books only one has this listed. There are only a small handfull of mushrooms which are quite as weird as this so very pleased to find it, and there was at least a dozen or more over a 20 meter radius.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
No idea other than it is a slime mold, but I would imagine that this warm and wet weather has been great for them. All of the ones I saw were bright yellow.

I seen my first one 2 years ago, which was a bright yellow sickly looking sulpery yuckness. I have a few photos of the creamy looking ones which were merrily making their way up several blades of grass and consuming it. A few others from this year I have on some sticks which were the same yellow as the one you posted, all the same, just different environments.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I'm surprised it was in any of them at all. It's not a British species. I only know it because somebody from America once posted a picture of it on wildmushroomsonline. It's unforgettable.

I did not realise there were that many alien fungi in the UK, having had a bottle of wine tonight I will keep my research for tomorrow! It seemed quite at home in the culbin sands we found it on, it is a shame you are so far away otherwise I would give you a little tour of the area as it is home to a multitude of interesting fungi and slime moulds.

We were there to look for saffron and wooly milk caps but a little early for this area, there were some rather nice bolletes and russula as well as some most awesome Cortinarius violaceus growing though which in the next 4 weeks should go quite insane, perhaps even the occasional cauliflour too which we have occasionally found near by.

If you are up this way ever (Moray) you should have a good forage.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have to say, between my bleeding tooth and harvestmans dog vomit, we have some great looking fungi on here today! :D

Don't forget the stinkhorns. They smell like rotting flesh and look like... well, its fairly obvious.

Found one last week when I was leading a group of teenagers on a woodland walk. You can probably imagine the result. :rolleyes:

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Don't forget the stinkhorns. They smell like rotting flesh and look like... well, its fairly obvious.

Found one last week when I was leading a group of teenagers on a woodland walk. You can probably imagine the result. :rolleyes:

Stinkhorns, especially in the egg forms are quite distinct, but between your dog vomit and my bleeding tooth.............|The poor wee stinkhorn eggs were almost forgotten!

Usually a most excellent find, I like them when they are eggs or fully grown and covered in flys!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I did not realise there were that many alien fungi in the UK, having had a bottle of wine tonight I will keep my research for tomorrow! It seemed quite at home in the culbin sands we found it on, it is a shame you are so far away otherwise I would give you a little tour of the area as it is home to a multitude of interesting fungi and slime moulds.

We were there to look for saffron and wooly milk caps but a little early for this area, there were some rather nice bolletes and russula as well as some most awesome Cortinarius violaceus growing though which in the next 4 weeks should go quite insane, perhaps even the occasional cauliflour too which we have occasionally found near by.

If you are up this way ever (Moray) you should have a good forage.

I've only ever been mushrooming in Scotland once, and that was a very long time ago. The area around Plockton - no shortage of mushrooms there either!

I'm thinking about running some sessions up north in August next year. The season gets going earlier up there...

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk

Yeah...one of the very few plants/fungi that you very often smell before you find it. And sometimes you can't find it at all!

People are always impressed when they find one in its pristine state, covered in a swarm of flies.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
This early mushroom boom has arrived in Sussex also in the last couple of days. All that rain finally having an effect. In the last two days I've found several sorts of puffball and agaricus, some boletus luridus, parasol mushrooms, and loads of fairy ring champignons.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
This early mushroom boom has arrived in Sussex also in the last couple of days. All that rain finally having an effect. In the last two days I've found several sorts of puffball and agaricus, some boletus luridus, parasol mushrooms, and loads of fairy ring champignons.

No puffballs yet but got my first boletus luridus of the season a few days ago whilst out hunting chantrelles, jealous of you having parasols up there as I have never found them here and they are supposed to be choice eating :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE