The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Growing in the garden, white gills and no appreciable skirt
6ab4937ada38c964191ef35c073c61b5.jpg

4c7f3f4123dcd1406d4c7741831b2dd2.jpg

Smells a little musty, like an earthy smell

_Matt_

Aug 29, 2010
Staffordshire
It's really difficult to say without pictures of the gills (not for the purpose of seeing their colour, which you already mentioned) and other important identifying features. The first one looks like it could be a Chlorophyllum species, with a ring that has fallen off.

_Matt_

Aug 29, 2010
Staffordshire
Found this little selection in my woods and as a complete novice no idea what they are
attachment.php

The underside
attachment.php

This was a bit more light brown on the outer skin, it was about 5cm wide for size reference
attachment.php

One cluster on an old oak/ash old rotted trunk section
attachment.php

A small cluster wood unknown
attachment.php

3rd pic looks like Chlorophyllum rhacodes. Last is Hypholoma fasciculare

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
First one is Amanita rubescens. The yellow pored bolete is probably a Xerocomus/Xerocomellus species. What size are these? I'm guessing up to 5cm across. Last one might be a Pluteus species. What colour are the pores of the staining bolete? This is an important piece of information.

Thanks for your input, Amanita rubescens I have now found in one of my books, not one to be eaten raw apparently, the Xerocomus/Xerocomellus species I can't find, the pluteus could be umbrosus will have to do a smell test if they come up again. The staining bolete I did not check the pores on, begginers error.

Yellow fellas look a bit like Boletus auripes to me

In Kent? B. auripes is a North American / East Asian species. Never been recorded in Europe.

Try Xerocomellus chrysonemus.

I should have mentioned that all but the last one was found in the New Forest area, my bad.
When is your book due out Geoff?

I take it my observation on the penny bun boletus edulis was correct then as no one remarked otherwise?

Ta for all your input guys, appreciated.

Rob.

_Matt_

Aug 29, 2010
Staffordshire
The morphology is correct but there are a few other species that have very similar proportions. When i mentioned about pore colour being important i meant for that one too. The cap is darker than I'm used to seeing. But if the pores are white that don't bruise then it will be something close to B. edulis if not actually B. edulis. More subtle identifying features to look for are a white rim around the cap margin and white reticulations on the stem. I can't see enough from the picture to see if those are present though and since I'm not an expert i thought it better not to comment (and wait for someone else to, which i assumed they would) than get it wrong (even if it's close).

Check this out: http://www.first-nature.com/fungi/boletus-edulis.php

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Nope, I do not touch mushrooms due to the fact that I am no expert and I do not know of any to go with. Ever since hearing of a mushrooming society loosing 2 members to the death cap, I believe it isn't a hobby that you can follow from a book. If so called experienced people end up picking death caps, I'd give myself about a month before something terrible happened.

You really can't go wrong with this one, and it's dead tasty. :)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
When is your book due out Geoff?

About this time next year, maybe a bit later, but before Xmas. The publisher has changed (I'll spare you the details). New Publisher is Green Books (http://www.greenbooks.co.uk/). They've asked for a more comprehensive and more beautiful book, at the expense of portability. It's going to feature over 300 species (was 200), with bigger photos than previously planned. Not a field guide, but intended to be the definitive UK and north-west European book on this topic for a long time.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
About this time next year, maybe a bit later, but before Xmas. The publisher has changed (I'll spare you the details). New Publisher is Green Books (http://www.greenbooks.co.uk/). They've asked for a more comprehensive and more beautiful book, at the expense of portability. It's going to feature over 300 species (was 200), with bigger photos than previously planned. Not a field guide, but intended to be the definitive UK and north-west European book on this topic for a long time.

You have a customer waiting here :red:

_Matt_

Aug 29, 2010
Staffordshire
Likewise. I learned and became familiar with most of the species i know now from the old website (using it as a reference. It was especially useful because of the way common species were grouped together and the fact it was relevant to England - making it much easier to narrow down the search. There are lots of websites that list either pretty much everything in a genus or that have a big list of all species from all genera in one list. But this website was an accurate reflection of what i was seeing most of the time, which as a beginner is very important. Having to guess from a huge list isn't helpful), so i know what I'm getting and that it would suit me. That's really not an exaggeration. I was referencing it repeatedly every time i was trying to work out what i had been seeing and it had all the right information regarding edibility and relative safety. It's hard to explain really but it just worked for me very well.

Last edited:

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone

I've been following your blog , you've not mentioned price yet? can't wait I sense a new favourite !!!

denny 😊

_Matt_

Aug 29, 2010
Staffordshire
First might be a Clitocybe species like Clitocybe gibba or maybe Lepista Flaccida, hard to tell from just that one specimen and with the colour of the lighting. Second is an Inocybe species
soft with a firm nipple
That is ripe for innuendo! Lol

Last edited:

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
This is a real weird one small brown and spikey fairly round but attached to some very old deadwood around 2" in diameter. Spiny puffball?
WP_20150926_16_19_31_Pro[1].jpg

And the shaggy parasol not at full spread in my last post looks totally different now
WP_20150925_10_30_45_Pro[1].jpg

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I've been following your blog , you've not mentioned price yet? can't wait I sense a new favourite !!!

denny 

I'm not the one who makes the decisions about price, dimensions, size of photos, etc... That's all up to the designers and publishers. My guess is it that the RRP will be somewhere between £18 and £25.

I'm doing my best to make sure this book is a classic though. I'm out every day apart from when it is pouring down with rain, in an attempt to find the perfect photo of everything I haven't already got a perfect photo of. I've never spent so much time looking for fungi in one autumn, and I never will again. My legs hurt... :)

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Can someone ident this please?

uploadfromtaptalk1443363984095.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443364009400.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443364026509.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443364075194.jpg

Is it edible? Apologies for my ignorance, fungi id is something I need work on, lots of.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE