The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
7eb5eb38fd9dac3185b9ed619935e13c.jpg
de436e34cb2a0e69f918b0b0309c33de.jpg
any ideas I half recognise these but not sure if they're edible or they're name?

denny 😊

_Matt_

Aug 29, 2010
Staffordshire
Are they tough and fibrous? Looks like Marasmius oreades to me. But it's hard to tell from those pictures. The fact that the gills have been eaten on second of the first two pics doesn't help. Do not for a second think that i am suggesting you should eat them. I'm just saying what i think they look like for others to evaluate. What leads me to think that species is the broad umbo (on one of the bigger specimens) and the hygrophanous caps (which will fade to a creamy colour, losing all of the redness as they dry out), along with habitat and such. The very least you should do is spore print them, although that is not very helpful in this case because presumably it will be white spored and so will the things you would want to avoid. But it's good practice to do that anyway and in general because you never know.
For a more confident ID to be made, clearer pictures showing a better perspective (some further-away shots) and different stages of grown would be helpful.

Last edited:

_Matt_

Aug 29, 2010
Staffordshire
What a transformation in quality! I would say definitely M. oreades. Let's see what Geoff says. Did you check if the stems were tough? They should be difficult to break compared to other mushrooms.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE