The tribe under the tarp and the curious case of spontaneous combustion

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
The weather looked iffy but we were determined to get out there and face what the day would throw at us. A cook out in the woods was what everyone wanted to do so off we toddled.
What does it take to carry out the required kit and scran for a family of five? Well...these really. A Maxp CondorII

Feb2012023.jpg

A Maxp (we like Maxp) Sitka for all the bits that I couldn't cram into the Condor.

Feb2012022.jpg

And Owen carried the Swedish Gasmask bag that had the brew kit in. It was a good job I briefed him on the contents. At first glance he thought the meths safety fuel bottle was a fire extinguisher which, as you shall read, could have had catastrophic consequences!

Feb2012024.jpg

After a short bimble we found a good spot for a fly camp but it needed a little trim.

NicsiphonepicsMar20212098.jpg

All set up and ready to crack on with some food for the munchkins. It rained on and off the whole time but never really more than spitting and the sun felt unseasonably warm when it popped out occasionally.

NicsiphonepicsMar20212110.jpg

Feb2012026.jpg

Me getting physical with a partially constructed honey stove.

NicsiphonepicsMar20212107.jpg

Hotdogs are the hot food of choice in the woods for the Prawnster household.

Feb2012025.jpg

Feb2012029.jpg

Feb2012032.jpg

Feb2012028.jpg

It was moments after this picture of me stuffing my face that the the (not so) curious case of spontaneous combustion occurred. I had put a crusader cup on the stove for a brew but hadn't brought any gloves for picking it up by the handles. I pulled my sleeve down over my fingers and reached for it through the flames. I then heard my dear lady wife say quite calmly 'Your arm's on fire.'

'What? Don't be daft love'

She then proceeded to start hitting me open handed across the chest. Her voice was now a little more high pitched 'You're on fire!! You're on fire!! Oh no the flames are all up your back now!!' I felt a little warm and could smell smoke but otherwise would have been totally unaware that I was cooking. I had not seen any flames at all!! The flames went out as quick as they'd started. It must have been the fluffy lint on my cotton top that had obviously ignited and then not got hot enough to ignite the top properly. Cue hilarity: 'Hey kids, you're dad was just on fire hahaha!'

We then did a litte tree climbing

Feb2012027.jpg

And then Owen and I had a crack at a figure 4 deadfall trap which worked first time! If we ever fancy bbq squirrel we'll be well in.

Feb2012033.jpg

A very enjoyable and eventful day out.

Feb2012036.jpg

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing.

It's great to folks sharing the outdoors with their kids and the kids loving it, good on ya all.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
awesome days pic's, brilliant family, and being on fire just adds to the fun......;)

"Cue hilarity: 'Hey kids, you're dad was just on fire hahaha!'" this is the sort of thing i would have got too...:):):):)

regards.

chris.

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
Hmmm - i reckon i could teach my boy to build a dead-fall trap, i'm just not so sure he wouldn't bait it with something pink in the hope of catching his sister!! ;)

looks like a great day for all - just goes to prove you don't have to have cloudless skies and warm days to enjoy a good time out with the family

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Good familyday out!
Bit of a not so smart action by dad, though... Glad your wife noticed, otherwise the experience could have turned nasty.

P

Passer

Family enrichment:)
Long may you continue to give the children such a good grounding.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. We had a fab time and we're glad you like the piccies :)

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE