the swing of things...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
thought id take the step and make my first post,
well im wondering about hammocks as never tried one as allways had tents & friends with me but im planning a few trips alone or with my son, what's there pros v cons really???

PTDan

Nov 24, 2012
South wales
Hello northernbigfoot, croeso!. I am not an experienced bushcrafter yet, but am making my move as well, with 2 years under my belt. hope I can help you. Personally I think hammocks are a great way to connect with your surroundings, as a tent closes you off and puts you in a brightly colored dome/tunnel/semi- geodisic pod! dont get me wrong tents are sometimes a god send, depending on how prepared you are with your hammock, but there is definitely something magical about swinging on the trees. so I hope this helps.

Pros: super comfy, generally lightweight compared to most tents. low impact if done correctly. enables you to see a lot more. doubles up as a seat. depending on how much you use them. you can pack or put up in a flash (aha!). allows you to see more (depending on your setup ), and when you wake up, you're already there!.

cons: you'll need to micro organize to be efficient. can separate you from the group if you're the only swinger. if your hammock doesn't have a bivi design, and there's no trees... some actually find it impossible to sleep in a hammock (usually because bad circulation and hanging like a banana, I keep mine as straight as it can be, and sleep diagonally.) your gear is outside the hammock (attached to tree, tripod or on a membrane underneath ).

thats all I can think of really. I choose hammocks because i just really love the feeling of it. my only gripe, is that your gear is outside essentially. (keep thinking bigfoots gonna rob me!) I think tents are too visible for what we do. oh and a final word! once you buy a tent, as long as you take care of it that's it, I find with hammocks, your always chasing after the next essential upgrades. I recently bought whoopie slings (which rock thy socks) and now its opened yet another pandoras box with dutchware (all recommended here by lovely people ). But to be honest I don't mind ; ) because ultimately........Hammocks rock

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Other Pros

No need to look for level or dry ground. You just need trees (I've slept on a slope that was barely walkable).
Comfy if you have back problems.
Less closed in than a tent (never bothered with one of these enclosed things)
Incredibly cheap, you can make your own without sewing for under £10

Cons

Can be cold. Lack of insulation under you means you lose a lot of heat down.
You can only camp in an area with trees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE