The Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I've got one and it took me a while to get use to it. But works ok quite strong actually.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Gooner

Forager
Feb 27, 2014
Kent
I've got the Speedy and find it very good, when doing leather you do need to to make the holes first.
Plenty of videos on you tube

I have one; it was a present :D and it's very, very good :D

cheers,
Toddy

Aaaah! at last! I've looked at this item, off and on, for years now and I've always thought - "Nah! don't 'need' it and it'll take a serious recommendation before I pull the trigger on it".

Toddy - I take that as a serious recommendation - and I'll know where to come if I'm not 100% satisfied! - although at less than £15, I think your finances are safe!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it depends on what you'll use it for.
Right now my hands and wrists are aching, and pushing and pulling heavy needles through heavy layers just isn't happening.
The fellow who gifted me with the awl thought I'd be able to use it, and he was spot on :D I haven't tried leather, but on canvas, on four layers of heavy wool with interlining of coutil (tight, firm, non stretch, corset cotton) it had no bother at all. I also had a go on a bit of webbing belt and again, no problems :)
Needs a bit of patience to suss it out smoothly, but once you've got it, it's a very good tool :)

cheers,
Toddy

I think it depends on what you'll use it for.
Right now my hands and wrists are aching, and pushing and pulling heavy needles through heavy layers just isn't happening.
The fellow who gifted me with the awl thought I'd be able to use it, and he was spot on :D I haven't tried leather, but on canvas, on four layers of heavy wool with interlining of coutil (tight, firm, non stretch, corset cotton) it had no bother at all. I also had a go on a bit of webbing belt and again, no problems :)
Needs a bit of patience to suss it out smoothly, but once you've got it, it's a very good tool :)

cheers,
Toddy

Too late Toddy! Your original post has already been sent to my solicitors!...

...although this is still excellent info - you can punch through canvas? I'm trying to imagine four layers of wool with coutil - I'm no expert on fabrics - but webbing with work tired hands? Now I'm impressed!

I doubt I'll use it in the way you do - it'll be more reparation rather than creation - but you've certainly rekindled my enthusiasm.

The makers owe you a commission.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know the kind of old tool where the handle didn't fit awkwardly in the hand ? didn't rub, chaff, or left the hand cramping trying to hold it for use ? but was shaped originally by someone who actually used tools ?
The awl feels like that. Right enough, I have small hands, but from the other replies it seems I'm not the only person happy with it :) Mine came with an assortment of needles; someone thought things through properly when they designed it :)

cheers,
M

You know the kind of old tool where the handle didn't fit awkwardly in the hand ? didn't rub, chaff, or left the hand cramping trying to hold it for use ? but was shaped originally by someone who actually used tools ?
The awl feels like that. Right enough, I have small hands, but from the other replies it seems I'm not the only person happy with it :) Mine came with an assortment of needles; someone thought things through properly when they designed it :)

cheers,
M

My pre - buying thoughts, exactly. An awl is an awl at the end of the day but I liked the ingenuity of this design and what it tries to do in a relatively cheap package.

I'll let all know what I think when I get one.

Cheers.

P.S. I'm a fully paid up member of the small hands club as well!

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I have large handle, am a novice and I love it. Much better than a plain needle for me as I have arthritis in the fingers.

For the price I cannot see how you can go wrong.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
So what stitch is used then?
It can't be saddle stitch as that means two threads go completely from side to side
Is this more of a hand held/operated sewing machine action?

Bungie

Dec 16, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Yep, a hand held sewing machine is the best description. And it's bloody good at it too. I have used mine a lot with leather and not needed to pre-hole the leather.

E9E36CC3-19D2-442E-BA2F-0195E3CDBBE8.jpg

B894D1D7-3342-4B31-A709-BB87D8581B72.jpg

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Another thumbs-up. Sometimes seems better to use the awl point without thread first to make your holes and then do the stitching with less resistance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE