The second dyeing of the pink blanket

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
looking good, you tried beetroot?

I was trying to dye an already pink blanket brown!

It's not dry yet & looks pretty orange in this photo but more brown in the flesh:

42d0cbd7.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a good rust colour :D Wearable, especially in a British Autumn and Winter :cool:
It'd make a good shirt or a birrus :D

Looks as though the longer soak evened out the dye a bit too :)

atb,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Isn't it a bit itchy, John?

I'd rather make some sort of hooded garment for sitting by the fire in
No itch at all - pure Merino blanket that!
I was a Day-glo orange when I got it - worse even than pink! - and double bed sized ... I paid a full 50p for it in a charity shop!
I just thought you might like to look like my twin in a matching shirt :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
No itch at all - pure Merino blanket that!
I was a Day-glo orange when I got it - worse even than pink! - and double bed sized ... I paid a full 50p for it in a charity shop!
I just thought you might like to look like my twin in a matching shirt :)

Whilst I'm very flattered at your offer of twinship, I am incapable of growing a beard.

You paid 50p more than my blanket, but mine isn't merino, think it's some sheep/hessian hybrid. I wish my sewing skills were up to your standard - one problem I have is that if I tried to lay the blanket out to mark it up, I'd immediately have 2 dogs romping all over it or a toddler trying to crawl underneath... ;)

ganstey

Settler
I'm hoping that by reviving this thread the right people will see it, and hopefully be able to answer my query:)

I'm having a few weeks break from my OU degree and I'm getting my 'fix' of practical stuff rather than having my head in a book all day! I've had some woolen blankets in the cupboard for years - they came from my parents and are probably at least 30-40 years old. Not having found a use for them as blankets, I've decided to have a go at making something a bit more useful and interesting from them - I'm aiming at a cloak, following the lines of all those videos on youtube. The blanket I want to try it with is either a large single, or a small double, and is cream in colour. It weighs 1.5 kg dry to give you an idea of the size. As far as I can tell it's 100% wool. It will mainly be used when sitting around the campfire, so quiet colours are preferred, and autumnal would be excellent. I'm not fashion-conscious so not too worried about exact colours, or colour evenness - slightly blotchy would give it a 'natural' appearance :)

I've been looking at Dylon hand dyes, but worked out I'll need about £25 worth of dye to get something like the colour I'm after :eek: Using teabags as a dye just seems the right thing to do. I've read this very interesting thread and like the idea. The only problem I have is that I don't have anything to heat the 'tea' in that is also big enough to take the blanket. I have a couple of plastic barrels (ex-fruitjuice concentrate I think), and these seem about the right size to give enough sloshing room. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could achieve my desired result using the equipment I have to hand? Boiling the water is going to be the problem (I'm guessing the barrels will take very hot water, but obviously they won't take sitting over a fire.

Many thanks in advance
Graham

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you raise the temperature of a reaction by 10 degreesC, you cut the time of the reaction in half; the corollary is that time works just as well as heat for many things.

Boil up the dye, wash the blankets, don't thermal shock them (no hot into cold, or cold into hot) and immerse them in the dye in as big a vessel as you can find (washed out black bin works fine). Stir well, cover and stir it when you mind. I meant it about wool not being damaged by being in a tannin rich soak for a long while.
It'll not do it any harm, just mind to stir it around so that the dye can evenly spread through the cloth.

cheers,
M

ganstey

Settler
If you raise the temperature of a reaction by 10 degreesC, you cut the time of the reaction in half; the corollary is that time works just as well as heat for many things.

Boil up the dye, wash the blankets, don't thermal shock them (no hot into cold, or cold into hot) and immerse them in the dye in as big a vessel as you can find (washed out black bin works fine). Stir well, cover and stir it when you mind. I meant it about wool not being damaged by being in a tannin rich soak for a long while.
It'll not do it any harm, just mind to stir it around so that the dye can evenly spread through the cloth.

cheers,
M

Thanks Mary. I have both a black dustbin and time, so will give it a go. I've just washed the blanket in the machine (with no detergent as I didn't have anything that wasn't full of nasty things like bleaching agents). So my plan is to brew up about half a dustbin full of tea :cool:, let it cool to ambient and then put the blanket it, giving it a really good but gentle sloshing to get it properly wet. I'll then give it a mix about whenever I remember over several days, and see how it goes. I'm guessing that for that much water I'm going to need 2 or 3 boxes of teabags?

If the rain ever stops I'll try and take some before and after photos.

treadlightly: Dylon do a hand dye that it suitable for wool, but it gets expensive when you get to this much material :rolleyes:

Cheers
Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE