The second dyeing of the pink blanket

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
This was referenced in so many threads that I thought I'd start a new one.

Was given some Tesco Value teabags (27p!)

0ee65da1.jpg

Added these to the cold tea mixture that I'd used to dye my Holy white blanket with:

c71b48e2.jpg

Brought these up to temperature and let them simmer for a couple of hours. Let it cool down and put the blanket back in again.

Again, brought this back up to boiling and left it on the heat for 2 1/2 hours then left to cool overnight.

In the morning, I hung it on the line and one it was dry, you can see it's definitely less pink than before:

Before:

95a3548d.jpg

After:

c1ff68a3.jpg

7d03c342.jpg

It's not particularly even as the blanket tended to float but it does smell quite nice! Could probably do with a wash

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:cool: :D

Did you keep the tea ? you could bung the blanket back in and leave it soak for several days. It'll pick up more dye and might even out a bit too. That said, it's a good wearable, kind of camo tie-dye, fabric now :D

Wonder if Assam would be better ? or Tetley, "Let's the flavour flood out", or that strong stuff the Welsh drink ?

Thanks for posting and letting us know how it worked out :D

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's not going to damage the wool any, it can sit wet and in the dyeliquor for weeks if need be.
My dyes sometimes soak for months if I get too busy working away from home. Amazing results sometimes with a 'little too busy to deal with just now' soaks :D

I think at 27p a box you'd not be too out of pocket to acquire a £'s worth and brew up again. A blanket's a lot of wool to dye; some natural dyes need weight for weight of dyestuff and wool to be effective, so to get the colour you have already is a result :D

cheers,
M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, added another 80 teabags (that's 54 pence worth now!) and heated up again today. It's been on the heat for a few hours but with a metal barrel outside it's not possible to get to a rolling boil - does this matter? Once the fuel runs out or I turn it off, I'll let it cool & leave for a few days - just hope I can get it dry before Friday!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
All that the heating will do is speed up the dye extraction, and make the wool relax and let the dye in among it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You've made really strong tea, let it steep for a bit.

Interesting to see the results from 54p worth of teabags; it's already quite remarkable :D

cheers,
M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, it's been on the heat for about 7 hours today (that stove is quite remarkable!) & looks a bit darker. I've left it weighted down to cool & I'll leave it tomorrow to soak. Depending on weather I'll hang it up to dry on Tuesday or Wednesday!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thats looks cracking mate. Did you find the blanket shrunk at all if you brought it up to temperature slowly?

Difficult to say as didn't measure it beforehand but it's bigger than it needs to be anyway. It's still soaking in the barrel - will dry it on Wednesday

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE