The search is over, I've found my stump

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
After a clearcut in the autumn this piece which was twice as long and with bark was left to root away. I asked if I could have it and I could! It was too thick for the tractors crane to grab it. I only used handtools and I think I'm gonna appreciate it more due to the work I put into it. First I had to make me a bigger saw cause my old bowsaw wasn't big enough so I made myself a kinda silly looking large framesaw. The mortise and tennon on each side is about 1½ inch deep and slightly rounded with a large radius for better tension. It feels quite sturdy and the weight makes it cut easier.

When I had sawn it in half (puh) I barked it in the woods with an axe. Then I had to get it home somehow so I made a simple sled out of two crap skies. When I had it home and dried it for about 12 h I barked and scraped it to remove all the bark. Now it't been drying for a week indoors and I gotta clean and level the top and bottom a bit while it still is fairly green. I counted the growthrings and it was an 208 year old pine tree they cut down. All in all this haven't even taken me one day to do, a very silly amount of time if you think about how old the tree was. I am glad I saved it and I will try to give it a worthy existens. If my house starts to burn this is one of the first things I gonna try to throw out, if I'm strong enough for it lol... sorry for some text and I'm not that good at english. The mora is there for a reference. It was positioned like on the picture just for photo, I let it dry on an other place laying on two pieces of wood.

Have fun out in the woods!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice bit of wood. It's crazy how old yet how small a diameter the trees are up your way. Should be nice and dense (solid) wood.
That would be about 50 years old here.
Good luck with your projects.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Nice bit of wood. It's crazy how old yet how small a diameter the trees are up your way. Should be nice and dense (solid) wood.
That would be about 50 years old here.
Good luck with your projects.
Yes the growth rings spacing differ quite alot over the years in that one. I guess you wanna see this more slow growing pine if you find that one crazy :D. I've not been able to count the growth rings where they are closest together but I think its about 90 years old from what I've been able to count....

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Carved the top surface now, that surface you can't get using machines. It gives nice grip for my feets too :). Gonna try to "polish" the sides of it now for a nicer look.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that looks just like my stump used to, really useful thing to have around, i nailed a bit of carpet to the bottom of mine to stop sap sticking to the floor/scratches. i wish i'd counted the growth rings on mine, i'd be curious to see how much quicker that sort of size grows around here

stuart

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice to see an update on your stump, still find it amazing the difference in the size of your 208 year old stump and the size of some of the monsters that are so much younger here that I've felled. No wonder it's prized for working as its so strong. Remember smiling when watching the Ray Mears in Siberea with the Evenk and the little poles they were cutting for fences were a good age. Your stump seems to be ageing well with the heartwood becoming more prominant.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
An update! The stump is still going strong. My finest piece of furniture :).
21zcd3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE