The Right Sort of Bees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Not really my problem...yet

Dad was in my garden and he found a bees nest in my compost bin so he left well alone.

He says they are ground nesting bees...evidently social bees...are they honey bees?

I will be going home next month so I will get you some pictures.

Its possible I might have a swarm for you bee keeping types to adopt...I do hope so!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wonderful. That means that you are to be blessed with good fortune.
Probably not the conventional, hive dwelling Apis melifera (honey bee.)
Instead, they may be the far larger yellow/black or yellow/orange/black bumble bees.
They don't store nectar as honey but do harvest enough for their own needs.
If they are, the nests are usually no more than annual affairs.
Here, the queens over winter and begin afresh every spring.
Their vision is excellent so swatting at them usually provokes a response.

As pollinators, they are invaluable. They pollinate many crops that the honey bee is too fussy to even look at.
They pollinate grapes, for example. Think about that.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Ground nesting bees should not be in a compost bin? They like to dig holes in the ground?
I have only seen Bumblebees nesting in ground. Normal bees in ground, rotten tree trunks, attics too.

It is a weird thing in the English language, to call bees almost the same as (bumble) bees...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I see ground-nesting as opposed to nesting in tree cavities, house roofs and other elevated locations.
Ground nesting as in the two colonies of bumble bees which nested underneath my garden shed.
Probably lots of dread dry grass from mouse and vole winter nests under the shed.
None of our many bumble bee species are diggers. Instead there's a miriad of abandoned little burrows
and rock piles for them to pick from. Even our yellow jacket wasps will nest in the ground.

My "compost bin" is 6' x 6' x 4' and is no more than a box for rotting lawn grass clippings.
It can dry out very quickly in the summers here, have to remember to water it to make it work.
More than once, I've noticed a bumble bee nest from their comings and goings.
I've opened a couple out of curiosity, they look like the pictures!

In this day and time, I'm much more concerned for their welfare as crop pollinators as
the devastation from Colony Collapse Disorder coutinues to decimate honey bee colonies.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The answer, essentially, is no. The honey bee is european in origin as are most of the crops which depend upon them for pollination.

What we see with our native flowering plants is a multitude of insects foraging for pollen and nectar,
the bumble bees and various flies (Diptera) of all things and the occassional butterfly.
The yellow jacket wasps have a great fondness for the gooseberry bushes. The flies are in love with the black currants.
Lots of other smaller species but these are the most conspicuous if you sat in my back garden right now and watched.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Here on Cayman we have a local bee, about half size from the normal Honey Bee.
I stepped on one last year, and thought I had stepped on a Scorpion. Much, much more painful than a Honey Bee sting.
Had lots in the garden in February, when my Mango trees flowered, and again in April when one of the Mango trees flowered for a second time.
As a result I have been blessed with a couple of hundred Mangoes!
Will give most away of course, once they start maturing.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just because they are inconspicuous doesn't mean that they don't carry a big stick!

Colony Collapse Disorder has been a disaster here in the valley in the commercial honey bee business.
Mites, bacteria on the mites, jacka$$ insecticide spraying, who knows?

Even theft. They just caught some guy (California?) who had stolen more than a million dollars worth of hives.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The same problem occurs in Europe. If this continues food production will go down. Maybe time for Science to start looking into developing a new bee hybrid?

They already tried that with the Africanized Honey Bee. That ain't turning out so good.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Good speculation. (And yes, lots of solitary bees in my garden.) But honey bees would be a good catch.

Shame I cant keep them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not necessarily; we have around 250 species of bees in the UK, and though honeybees generally have the largest colonies, there are look alikes. The carder bee for instance.
Unless one has time (and isn't being frazzled by the uplifting of dozens/hundreds of bees) it's just 'a bee'.

As children we used to try to capture as many different kinds that we could in a set time. I think my record was twenty four different bees in ten minutes; everything from bakers to redhot pokers….but then, the grass area in front of out houses was a field of clover through summer.

https://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/identification/

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not as clear as you might think. Honeybees are relatively hairless, while bumble bees are furry….some of them, they're not all like miniature bear things.

We now have European carpenter bees in the UK too, and they don't have hairy abdomens either.

I asked elsewhere, and the agreement is that there are bees, wasps and flies….and that's pretty much how most folks define them.
Apparently we're weird in asking what kind of bee :dunno: It's just a bee.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE