The right pair(s) of socks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 3, 2009
Liverpool, UK
Hi Guys,
I have a pair of Berghaus Explorer Ridge Gore-Tex boots and have been researching what pair or pairs of socks would best suit this type of boot in Hot Summer and Freezing Winter conditions.

Many people in outdoor shops have suggested something to the effect of "Spend lots on 1 pair and they will last you for a long time" other say "Have 1 thick pair over 1 thin pair to stop blisters from friction". Are they talking sense or simply trying to get a sale from me?

I have searched the internet and these message boards for an answer but have found nothing that directly answers my question. I am pretty new to the bushcraft scene but a quick learner and thought I would ask people with experience.

So the question is: What is the best pair(s) of socks for a Hot Summer and a Freezing Winter?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Welcome to the forum Rollo :)

Personally I'm a fan of the 1000 Mile socks, if you've not seen them it's basically a thin sock with a thicker outer sock. They come in a variety of thicknesses and weights for the seasons, but when it gets really cold I change boots and I double up with a nice thick pair of 400g Woolpowers too.

http://www.1000mile.co.uk/1000milesocks.htm

http://www.woolpower.se/en/asp/produkter_3.asp

Not saying it's the right way but it works for me okay.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
for summer use I tend to use a sock high in coolmax. I bought a load once of (I think, bridgedale) when I saw them cheap, and they're the best I've ever worn. Had 'em for ages, and still going strong (bearing in mind I wear 'em practically everyday over the warm months). I also wear them if I'm wearing my chainsaw boots in the winter, as I find anything warmer is too warm in those things.
For winter use the best I've found are hirsch socks. 100% wool and uber warm. Not cheap at £11 a pair, but worth it (I tried the army's arctic sock when I was in, and don't rate them one bit).
So, in answer to you question, there is no one sock out there.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Everyones idea of a good sock is different!
however the thin sock/thick sock thing is a common held belief and if your shoes fit well that should in theory stop you blistering too badly.
personally i run with these things:
http://www.yeomansoutdoors.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=3822
i get em in Green and they're double knitted on the sole for cusioning, comfy and get me where i need to go easy to dry too.
as i say each to their own :)

Dec 3, 2009
Liverpool, UK
Thanks for the info so far guys. Up to now, I will be buying 2 pairs, a thick and thin pair. So now the only thing I need to sort out is what features each pair should have.

Thanks for the Websites aswel, those 1000 Miles socks seem like a really good well wearing sock and I may buy a pair for more vigirous outdoor things I do.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Hiya Rollo, my lad's mate is called Rollo
icon7.gif
do you own American bulldogs by any chance, if not sorry for going off topic and welcome to the site.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My current favourite are SmartWool Phd socks....merino and very high tech construction with great ventilation and comfort panels.
I always swore by a thin pair of lambswool under loopstitch outers in the past and that proved very good too, especially in the cold.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
British army green socks. Work for me double up with a pair of wool hiking socks if needed or goretex liners for wet
I think its actually a very personal thing and you have to find what works best for you in different conditions

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
In summer I'm wearing Bridgedale trekking socks and in winter some nice knee-high Woolpower socks. Both contain merino wool.
A mate of mine used to wear non-wool socks in summer but when he tried out a pair of Bridgedales with merino he was amazed that his feet didn't smell! He practically wanted to go buy merino socks for every day of the year ;)
So if you're planning longer trips, I'd say get something with wool, even for summer use.

Dec 3, 2009
Liverpool, UK
Hiya Rollo, my lad's mate is called Rollo
icon7.gif
do you own American bulldogs by any chance, if not sorry for going off topic and welcome to the site.

Hehe, No I don't have any American Bulldogs unfortunatly :D

Also in reply to a few of the other comments, I have been told about Merino a few times by other people. I climbed Snowdon yesterday and didn't have the right socks on :( Although after 5 hours of walking, my Boots pulled through and I didn't have any blisters or cold feet! A lucky escape on my part but next time I will be prepared :bigok:

Last edited:

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
My favourite are 5.11 Tactical Level I (Summer) and Level II (Winter) socks.

Or

I have lots of Karrimor socks 3 pairs for £5.00 from Asda!

fergus77

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2006
Portreath, Cornwall
i use one pair of Swanndri wool socks in the summer and 2 pairs of the same thickness in the winter. The practise of a thin pair under a thick layer does help to prevent blisters, but even when i've had 2 thick pairs on i've had no problems.

I always try to wear wool or a wool mix, helps your feet breath and has natural wicking properties as well. Plus, if they get soaked they still keep you warm. Tried and tested in the New Forest at -6

I've had 2 karrimior packs if thats what you mean. The sabre 45 and Sabre 75. Both of them excellant packs capable of carrying everything you need depending on the season. I did find that the 45L with the rocket pouches snagged on trees, bush etc when walking through the woods, but that was about it.

Expensive now though and thats were you have to weigh up what you want from a pack before buying
I've just got a waxed canvas and leather pack which looks like it'll serve my purpose very well

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Rohner socks here. Virtually indistructable and never had blisters etc. The best trick I know for the freezing cold is to isolate the inner sock with a plastic bag. This seems odd but it prevents the build-up of moisture in the outer sock (yes, I wear a thin and a thick sock!), moisture that will inevitably freeze inside the shoe. Okay, you'll get some sweaty feet, but the external sock will maintain it's insulating properties.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
I'm also a big fan of the 1000 mile socks, never had a blister in them, and they are comfortable in summer and winter. The first pair I have had have lasted 5 years. I bought them before my 15 week firefighter recruit course and they were used practically every day in seriously tough conditions- that pair is still going strong.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
I have British army green wool socks for work and they are ok, my fav socks however are Thorlo.
Thorlo hiking socks, long or short version if its not too cold. Thorlo mountain socks for when its cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE