The proper tool for asjusting childrens toys.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
One of BBs friends has a charming 2 year old son. Someone well meaning bought him this plastic monstrosity

2793552022_a8ca1337f0_m.jpg

Not only is it eyeball burning hideous but it contains a movement detector and yaps whenever anyone moves near it.

BB offered to have me adjust it for him

<looking for a suitable tool>

This should work
2792709133_335d4f269a_m.jpg

Yep much better now

2792702831_793aba4f5f_m.jpg

Red

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
We had a "friend" who used to buy our kids such things. We got revenge when he became a father too, by buying a mini drum kit! :D

Shortly afterwards we agreed to call a truce and only buy sensible gifts for each others children!

Simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wonder about the mindset of people who design things like that..........dogs with no legs, stuck for eternity inide wee cars :rolleyes:
Nice (ahem) slip of rhe axe that man :approve:

I was once given a gonk as a 9th birthday present, by an aunt whose daughter was a year older than me. To this day I wonder what the hell I was intended to do with it...........it was a google eyed, green fur covered sponge tube with plastic feet and apparantly it was all the rage :confused: :confused:

I have dire reservations about the interpretation future archaeologiists will make on our times :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't get such things at all. His presents from us have been wooden blocks in a stroller and a basic train set etc. I know wooden blocks aren't trendy but sit any "tiny" down with a load of mixed wooden blocks and I bet they keep themselves entertained for longer than any piece of plastic tat - plus there is the whole "hand eye" thing plus you can chew them without choking :)

Still its was a lot of fun when the.....errr....accident occured

Red

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Evan once had some soft toy that played a tinny electronic tune when you pushed its stomach. All was well until a few wires must have got crossed and it was all out of tune, then played and played until you whacked it off a hard surface. Then one morning it just wouldn't stop at all and my wife cam down to see it laid out on the chopping board, stabbed through the heart, the blade stuck all the way through! Silent though

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Simple toys are the best ones, no need for all these complicated toys with limbs missing or indeed additional appendages in some cases, how often have you given a child a toy you think they will like, and they sit there playing with the cardboard box instead totally ignoring the toy itself?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Be a heck of a kick - other than the farm they would have to kick the ball over three fields of wheat, through the woods, over a lane, through another wood, across a field of barley, down the track and over a 9' hedge :)

Even then I find the expression "pull" covers aerially born objects quite effectively ;)

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bet you stick your garden fork through your neighbours kids foot balls when they come over into your garden to eh, baaaaaa humbug ;) lol

I find the antics of the kids trying to get their ball back quite entertaining.........next door has the biggest alsation I've ever seen, while my garden is booby trapped with jungle like things that catch, sting, trip and dunk unsuspecting folks in one of the ponds :D I'm sure it breeds ingenuity into them :rolleyes: besides, it's character forming ;)

Wooden blocks are good and eventually aid hand, eye, throwing, co-ordination no end :D
I'm also a firm believer that things like swords and shields ought to be made of wood, not soft foam plastic. I was roundly told off by a friend when I make them for my sons, because I was being cruel, they would hurt ! Silly woman never quite got it, they were meant to; if you hit your brother with something hard, he'll hit you back, hard, and it does hurt, don't do it :( ........could have stopped endless wars I thought.........then I discovered them making explosives :eek: and came to the conclusion that in the spirit of human invention they were just doing what came naturally, ( they'd done a beautiful job on the charcoal :approve: ) ............though I'm certain *my* brother was somehow involved in the process :bluThinki ..........lightening in a bottle was interesting..... thank heavens they grew up before they worked out how to get their hands on Red Mercury :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
:lmao: I know where you're coming from, but I'm also a parent too. We had this idea that when we had kids they would only have aesthetically pleasing wooden toys, then people started giving the kids plastic crap, then we found they really liked some of the plastic crap lots more than the wooden stuff :( We ended up with a compromise.

The plastic stuff has its place as long as it has nothing electronic in it and isn't a 'complete' toy that you have to have all the bits of it to make it playable with. What they need is a basket full of small creative clutter; stacking cups, toy cars, plastic building blocks, marbles, sea shells, plastic animals and so on. This can be used to make any number of games in many different ways.

I kept a basket like this at my mum's house and would pack the kids one each when we went anywhere. They would have hours of endless fun with them.
Don't diss the plastic - be creative with it!
Nicola

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:D

The axe is fine - which is a good thing - I love that old Wetterlings - was a gift from a good mate - I have far prettier and fancier axes, but that one sits at the back door and has kept us warm for several years by reducing logs etc. - I love it to bits

Nice tune up on the chainsaw Jon (BB sends hugs btw and asks when we are seeing you again) - I have a petrol Mac you can teat the same way if you like - its vomming chain oil all over the show. Sticking to Husqy's now!

Red

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Congrats on depriving an innocent toddler of their toy Red, perhaps you could make him a bar of soap to repay him :nana: :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:lmao: I know where you're coming from, but I'm also a parent too. We had this idea that when we had kids they would only have aesthetically pleasing wooden toys, then people started giving the kids plastic crap, then we found they really liked some of the plastic crap lots more than the wooden stuff :( We ended up with a compromise.

The plastic stuff has its place as long as it has nothing electronic in it and isn't a 'complete' toy that you have to have all the bits of it to make it playable with. What they need is a basket full of small creative clutter; stacking cups, toy cars, plastic building blocks, marbles, sea shells, plastic animals and so on. This can be used to make any number of games in many different ways.

I kept a basket like this at my mum's house and would pack the kids one each when we went anywhere. They would have hours of endless fun with them.
Don't diss the plastic - be creative with it!
Nicola
I get what you mean Nic, but I'm no fan of plastic cr** - fortunately my daughters latest toy has an internal combustion engine so the days of small, hoover choking objects (other than jewelry) are long behind us. Strangely she was a great child (can't take after me) and her best "deal" was no toy allowance but every time I bought a book, she could have one too. She still loves reading now and we swap books regularly.

I agree on the "creative clutter" thing entirely - we used to have great bonfire parties - the work was all in the guys, food (home made sweets and soups etc.), decorations, jack o lanterns, etc. All good messy fun. As for the explosives hmmmm my neighbour then was a matelot. The less said about the infamous "Leicestershire super moles" the better :eek:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
:D

The axe is fine - which is a good thing - I love that old Wetterlings - was a gift from a good mate - I have far prettier and fancier axes, but that one sits at the back door and has kept us warm for several years by reducing logs etc. - I love it to bits

Nice tune up on the chainsaw Jon (BB sends hugs btw and asks when we are seeing you again) - I have a petrol Mac you can teat the same way if you like - its vomming chain oil all over the show. Sticking to Husqy's now!

Red

Hello Fi... We are hoping to get to the gathering next saturday, if you guys are gonna be there..
Door is always open here for you, if you fancy a trip down here...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Might be - I'm on the Mors course till Wednesay though - I'll give you a shout if we are coming!

Red

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, glad to see I'm not the only one that uses heavy tools for light adjustments.I just axed some new dvds as they keep skipping,How do I put a photo in my threads/replys

forestwalker

Evan once had some soft toy that played a tinny electronic tune when you pushed its stomach. All was well until a few wires must have got crossed and it was all out of tune, then played and played until you whacked it off a hard surface. Then one morning it just wouldn't stop at all and my wife cam down to see it laid out on the chopping board, stabbed through the heart, the blade stuck all the way through! Silent though

You do know that batteries on such toys acan run out fairly quickly, do you? In particular if a paperclip just happens to short them out. And that it is general is impossible to replace them?

If you are dairing it is well known that electronics do not generally survive in microwave ovens...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE