The Pigging Canoes & Stupid Idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
No Idea... I am terrrified of water. Always have been, ever since I saw Jaws as a kid.
That and my Dad taught me to swim by chucking me in the deep end of a pool, and I nearly didn't make it out.

But even I can stand up in my 27" wide canoe now.

I am indifferent to water.

I dont like getting wet and I dont like it going over my head, but other than that...

Since I gave up smoking and put on 10 stone... I think I probably would struggle trying to stand in a 27" wide boat.

I feel uneasy sitting in a 5 ft wide rib in calm water. I know because I did it last week.

I did stand in that, but really didnt feel that happy about it.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Even if it did have a top on but with a seat you could kneel on rather than just sit it would be a canoe - technically! - a C1 instead of a K1 for competition classification.
But in my eyes it would be a modified Kayak and a sin against watercraft....
Canoes should be trad - open with lots of storage space!

lol not sure if you will be happy with the direction this thread will go or not then.

I do hope so though.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Well, The Finmen used Kayaks, did they not?

So they must be ok.

The problem lies with the kayak instructors....

They all want to trot about in craft the length of their toes that are impossible to control.

And go down the weir

And jump off the side of the pier.

And other stupid stuff....like introduce their clients to canoes.

Me, Id like a Kayak to go places in.

Me....Id rather have a car.

Except this gives so much to my kids...

ScotsSurvival

Oct 12, 2010
Scotland
Continue typing until its all done....

WHAT ?

lol

So far this thread has taken 4 hours straight since I actually started posting, its had 11 modified google maps, 86 resized pics and 2,122 words - not including all the replies and the time to find the pics and upload them all Some were on other machines and had to be transferred as well.

Nah.

I need a bit of down time with my brats.

Sorry.

I will do some more later or tomorrow.

It is an epic thread, enjoy time with the kids.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Many thanks Scots.

Lol Tengu

Definitely allergic to kids.

Even more allergic to wives.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Ive decided that today is now a certifiable Monday.

I had a feeling it was Monday as soon as the phone rang, the door bell rang and both the kids went off at the same time this morning, while it was still dark.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
The telly, which I still hadnt turned off before I passed out in a heap in the lounge told me to rush outside and look at the lunar eclipse as it would be the first and last one in a hundred years or so...

Looks like the cat next door has given up trying to dig holes in the ice and just did it all over my doorstep.

The bloke on the telly didnt remind me to put boots on....

So there was me hopping back in with one frozen foot and one er... smelly foot, when I found a skateboard that they hadnt put away...

So there was me with a bruised rear, trying to scrub cat stuff off the wall, having discovered that you cant see the only blood red eclipse through a thick layer of fog.

As I said....

It was looking like a Monday right from the off.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
It was cold and all the sugar puffs and frosties mysteriously vanished in the night, so I mixed some poridge in a pyrex jug and shoved it in the microwave, and went for a shower.

On the way up the stairs I hurt my other foot.
I didnt see the lego bricks under the underpants one of them had dropped off the landing.

So I arrived at the bathroom swearing, only to find my eldest on the throne with the door wide open.
Its funny, he used to make the same experssion when he was a baby. Different smell though.

Monday.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Electric shaver was flat. Seems I forgot to plug it in - or my eldest has borrowed it and forgot to even turn it off, again..

Monday.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Toothpaste is missing....
Bugger! Its just jetted up the wall. Which idiot left it on the floor?
No answer.

Monday.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Got in the shower, someone had managed to hit the knob and turned it onto cold...
Grrr....
No soap.
Out of the shower, no soap in the cupboard, down the stairs
ARRGH forgot the lego again!
No soap in the kitchen cupboards.
Fairy liquid. Disclaimer - I dont work for Fairy.
Back in the shower...No shampoo either.
One of them must be drinking it.
Washing hair in Fairy liquid....
Power goes, door bell goes again, kid on bog explodes.

Monday.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Kid downstairs opens the door and yells
"Daaad ! He needs you to sign for it !"
I grabs the towel off the side and sets to work on the bubbles all over my head..

Its full of lumps...Looks like Ive found the sugar puffs
"OI ! !"
Wasnt me says grunty...

Its Definitely Monday.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
So theres me at the door half wrapped in a towel covered with now wet sugar puffs, with more sugar puffs and washing up bubbles in my hair, trying to focus on the pad shoved under my nose by a bloke who suspiciously smells of cat...

He looks like hes going to wet himself trying not to laugh.
I almost threw his pad over the fence when I realised it was for Mrs Neighbour next door and he got me out of the bath and embarrassed for nothing.

Monday.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
My little one explained that of course the sugar puffs were in the towel in th bathroom as desperate dan was in the Dandy when it snowed.

I ended up with my mouth open and one finger raised as I tried to and failed to make sense of that.

As I said Monday.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I want another two of those round half pint stainless mugs with foldaway handles, but cant remember where I got them from.
After I dressed and combed the worst of the muck out of my hair, I rang a local army surplus, who told me they had dozens on the shelf.

I got some weird looks as I wandered around the shop, unshaven, shiny hair and in one wellly and one trainer.

You cant actually expect to find a pair of anything on a Monday.

Got some electric and came back and finished my shower.

Remembered my poridge and checked it. I had forgot that a couple of months ago one of mine had asked how long you should cook a fray bentos pie - Disclaimer Im not linked to them either, and shoved it in its tin in the micro wave for 25 minutes and blew it up. The poridge was still raw.

Monday.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Drove to a local cafe for breakfast.
No newspaper.
Walked to the paper shop to get one.
A police car with its blues and twos roared past and soaked me in freezing ice water.
Got back to the cafe as the paper fell apart.
They had run out of bacon.

Monday.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Carried on to the plumbers as Ive now destroyed both those chromed tubes I bought to wind into coils and shove in potao tins - like you do...
I wanted two more. Some bloke was in there arguing about some taps and some pipe. 25 mins later I left with the only one they had.

As I drove out, I remembered I wanted to ask about solder too.

Not going back for another 25 mins.

Monday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE