The perfect spoon..........does it exist?

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I spent a very pleasant time in the sun on my whittling bench yesterday, working on yet another spoon. This will be my EDC for making coffee at work, and so far it is shaping up to be my best effort yet in terms of the proportions, shape and design.

And yet.......I have this niggling idea that I can do better; that this latest creation is but a step on the path to spoony fulfiment and enlightenment which will keep me occupied for eternity.

Don't get me wrong, I love the assorted angles, shapes and textures that my collection displays; I like working with whatever the wood chooses to let me do, but I wonder........does the perfect spoon exist or is the quest for the impossible the whole point?

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
There is no perfect spoon as different spoons are required for different jobs, surely.

By perfect I meant absolutely the best it can be, regardless of its size and use. Perfect shape, proportions, finish etc with none of those little splits, tears, nicks, knots or whatever. Think of reproducing a symmetrical silver spoon in wood and that's kind of where this whimsy is coming from.

When I look back at my collection there is a clear improvement in "perfection" as I have become better at carving; the gaps between spoons now are smaller but still there, so I can get better still.

Maybe I should put the crook knife down and get out more...

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good." Vince Lombardi

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good." Vince Lombardi

Great post; I hoped you'd pop in here and comment.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Are you making spoons because you enjoy making spoons, or are you making spoons because you need the perfect spoon?

Definitely because I enjoy it. My mind was wondering yesterday and I thought about the endless quest for perfection. It's a bit of philosophical fun really.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
It's the one that makes you happiest - in my case my first spoon was my perfect spoon.

I know what you mean there.

My first one was a little tea spoon made from a piece of buddleia and using inappropriate tools; it took forever but it started me off and brings back fond memories of learning a new craft skill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE