The perfect camo?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
do you have a camo you use that seems to always blend in?
(serious answers please :rolleyes: )

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay,

For the UK, for mixed woodland and grassland and farmland I would go with Realtree Hardwoods Green HD or maybe Advantage Timber. The better the camo, the more terrain specific it becomes of course

green_pattern_detail.jpg

Red

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I use 'Advantage' in the autmn through to the spring. squirells seem to not see me at all. This is the only thing I can guage it's effectiveness on...Consequently we can keep numbers in the decline. The only criticism is that the pattern repeat has 'Advantage' on it and this is every 1/2 meter. I'm sure that if this was a UK made pattern it would be a little more subtle. Please do not let this put you off though. It is a very good pattern. My wife would have disowned me if i would have gone and brought a 'ghillie suit'. Also I think that the local bobby may have had a few questions! They are also very expensive.
Oh, and this is used in deciduous forest not pine. The pattern is of deciduous leaves in a green going to brown.
I went to the Game Fair a few years ago especially to find a suit to match my woodland, focused on grey furry creature control. It took time but this is what I came up with. There are several different patterns available including the usual and very good traditional British army European camo. This may become harder to find as we seem to be involved in desert situations now, but I'm sure Bambodoggy will give good advice with regard to that.
The Game Fair this year is nr Romney, Southampton, Mountbattens Estate I think. I'm sorry I do not have the details here so am a bit vague.
Certainly worth a visit unless you are in Scotland, then it would be a very long trip.
Hope this helps. Swyn. I see Red has a picture... and a valid comment re specifics. S

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The best camo in the world is to be still.
Colours will help, as will covering the hands and face - your eyes move more than anything in the natural environment.
Follow the military adage of 5 S's -
Shape Shine Sound, Silhouette Smell and Movement and you'll pretty much have it sorted - though it all takes practice.

I once wore a homemade ghillie suit when rabbitting with an air - r*fle. As I was laid down in some longish grass, a bird landed on the back of my leg digging its claws in. It wasn't the claws that made me jump but the supprise of it all - I'm not sure who was the most startled though, me or the bird :rolleyes: :eek:

ATB

Ogri the trog

leon-1

A lot of people don't like it but the Auscam is very good, people tend to forget that the British DPM is based around dark brooding spruce and pine forest. Woodland cammo's are all well and good in the woods, but they tend to be far too dark when you hit the plains and fields. Auscam isn't.

There is also a lighter coloured version of Flecktarn (I don't think this version is actually German though) which is also very good.

There used to be a cammo pattern called ASAT (All Season All Terrain), which was a lighter colour for its base and then had erratic stripes of various colours running through it which although up close wasn't too brilliant at further ranges was very good.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Like Ogri stated, but it is not just the actual fabric of the clothing that makes you blend in...Shape, shine, shadow, shimmer, spacing, smell, silhouette and movement all need to be taken into consideration.

You don't see a sniper in just his camo-suit he also wears a ghillie suit, into which he adds local materials to blend in with his surroundings...

We used to do a test when cadets, to see how close a team could get to an individual before they could see him, and the clever bit was when the individual had to say what the others were doing...It is not just the case that they cannot see you...you must be able to see everything that is around you...

You need to be a chameleon

LS

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
The Canadian army have a digital pattern similar to the US pattern but 'greener' - called (intelligently) CADPAT.

A good site for all these different patterns is Flecktarn .

The CADPAT works well in mixed woodland/grassland.
I like the realtree type patterns but they are rather environment specific - you could end up with 3 - 4 suits!

As Ogri says its more about attitude and behaviour than patterns. Gillie suits are dead good once you 'naturalise' them to you local enviroment but you do look like a bit of a 'nana once you move somewhere else.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
heres a fairly good example of auscam in a prodomanantly pine woodland background.

From the picture(not that good quality) i like the way the top left quarter of the tarp has merged with the background!
ee1a43d0.jpg

I like auscam, in the past i used to collect camo so i've tried all sorts (genuine army uniforms!)from, DPM to wierd ones colours like bright yellow and one with purple!

i find that DPM is really good at close quaters in daylight at a distance it tends to look too dark, US woodland is the oposite!

by the way did you notice the auscam jacket hanging on the tree to the left of the picture? good isn't it! ;)

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Whatever pattern you decide on, it's worth sewing some 1" elastic strips onto the suit (assuming it is not Gore-tex!) for holding local foliage.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i always found the old DPM tropical(jungle) camo(the bright one) worked really well in long grass, along with a washed out US woodland! :)

the "photo" type camo's like hard woods always suprise me that they work out of their assumed scenarios.

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
I suppose it also depends on what you're trying to hide from...
does your target see in colour or B&W? Are you stationary or will you have to move around and track your target?

Most camo is based around human perceptions and priorities - if your target only sees in B&W then you can wear the most bizzare colours you want provided the patterns blend in with the surroundings..... although I always laugh when I see hunters in vizi vests with reflevtive tapes and advantage camo, talk about pattern clash! The best idea would be to work hiviz colour within the pattern blocks so that humans can see it but the pattern block don't spoil the B&W image.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I've always just liked the look of US Tiger stripe (not the bright one by Tiger Stripe products, but the dull one) and have been amazed by it's effectiveness in quite a few situations. It works by the action of breaking the outline rather than just blending. Predator cammos work in a similar fashion for hunting purposes: http://whitetail.com/predtr01.html

Have often thought that desert cammo, particularily the US tri colour one would be good on yellow grassy moorland like Dartmoor.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I used to use the dark tigerstripe camo, but it rarely blended with anything the oly stuff i found was close pine woods i always found it far too dark even at night it stood out against foliage, i did like the look of it though!

heres ASAT camo (hunter version)
All Season All Terrain
astacamo_1826_1749638

to be honest i thought they'd stopped making this but hey you learn something every day! :D

i always wanted this cause its a bit strange i.e. no green!
also it doesn't look military, though it looks simular to some desert camo :(

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Certainly no expert, but who/what are you hiding from? Don't most (all?) mammals see in black and white? Doesn't camo only help you hide from humans?

As I say, I've little experince of this, so welcome your replies.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
scanker said:
Certainly no expert, but who/what are you hiding from? Don't most (all?) mammals see in black and white? Doesn't camo only help you hide from humans?

As I say, I've little experince of this, so welcome your replies.

Most of the time I guess they do Scanker...but do we know which ones see in colour and which ones in monochrome...

LS

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
not really hiding from anything,
i like to merge a bit with the wilderness you get to see more wildlife, i feel a bit uncomfortable wearing camo in public as it can send the wrong messages, but that's only my sub-concious!

in the past there camo had been linked with elitist groups like sas, or terrorism, even Ramboi think that's worn off somwhat since the end of the cold war.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE