The parents who banned their daughters from watching TV for a YEAR..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Cracking story. There's some great ideas on that list. I've been trying to think of ways to introduce my young'n (and the wife) to the outdoors. There are some activities on there that would fit the bill.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
These days? , I have been doing that since early 90's :D

...However I really wish I had more of a outdoor life back then as well. Hell I wish I had more of a outdoor life last year.

90's?
That is these days!
Back in the 60's we did have TV (but nothing else) but in the summer I was not allowed to watch it unless the weather was awful - I was expected to play outdoors even in moderate rain ("Not made of sugar are you?"). We had bikes not "playstations or other electronic stuff!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nothing to have stopped the parents from 'bonding' with their children and NOT banning the TV.

Well done for enjoying family time together, not well done in banning the TV.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Nothing to have stopped the parents from 'bonding' with their children and NOT banning the TV.

Well done for enjoying family time together, not well done in banning the TV.

Perhaps not but the best thing we ever did was to get rid of the TV about 7 years ago :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Perhaps not but the best thing we ever did was to get rid of the TV about 7 years ago :)

For you maybe and yet here you are using a computer.

What stopped the parents in the past from just turning off the TV, we did with our children and grand children. Our five year old grandson enjoys TV, computers, reading, board games (yes, old fashioned board games), camping, junior rugby, swimming, going to watch the Ospreys and cooking. Its all about achieving a balance and being involved with your children and not blaming TV for what really is a parental fault.

Parents these days are too quick to blame others like schools or the NHS for problems they should be addressing.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Toggle the comments to "Worst" at the bottom if you want a good laugh. :why:

Sounds like they all had a brilliant time though, good on them

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
For you maybe and yet here you are using a computer.

What stopped the parents in the past from just turning off the TV, we did with our children and grand children. Our five year old grandson enjoys TV, computers, reading, board games (yes, old fashioned board games), camping, junior rugby, swimming, going to watch the Ospreys and cooking. Its all about achieving a balance and being involved with your children and not blaming TV for what really is a parental fault.

Parents these days are too quick to blame others like schools or the NHS for problems they should be addressing.

I did say TV not computer and I didn't criticise your choice to have one :)

We lost ours 7 years ago because a neighbour's tree knocked the antenna of the roof. By the time we'd persuaded them to top the tree about 6 month later we'd fallen out of any TV watching habits we had and simply decided not to bother renewing the license.

I have no problem with you or anyone else owning a TV or watching one it is a matter of choice. We simply prefer not to. I'm sure you're not suggesting that we should be compelled to buy a TV are you?

Regarding controlling my children's access to TV, that is exactly what I used to do when I did have a TV.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
They still watch television. Is the whirl of activities that many parents subject their children too, while complaining about being used as a taxi, any better> Swimming club, ballet lessons etc etc., children are glad to sit down and watch television. What these parents did not seem to do was to give their children any true freedom of choice just like the rest of the "football parents" (hockey moms in the USA).

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
2 Best things I think I've done for my lad (5) are:

Buy him decent outdoor clothes - plastic wellies are awful and should be banned! He has worn out every pair of neo wellies we've bought him and never complains of being cold.

Lose weight/get fit so when he says he wants to go for a walk/bike ride/swimming/play football/go fishing/bouldering/rabbiting/Geocaching - I say yep lets go rather than sitting on my overweight **** staring at a tv or monitor.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
2 Best things I think I've done for my lad (5) are:

Buy him decent outdoor clothes - plastic wellies are awful and should be banned! He has worn out every pair of neo wellies we've bought him and never complains of being cold.

Lose weight/get fit so when he says he wants to go for a walk/bike ride/swimming/play football/go fishing/bouldering/rabbiting/Geocaching - I say yep lets go rather than sitting on my overweight **** staring at a tv or monitor.

kudos, and another good example.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Brilliant!!! Good on them!!!

I have 4 daughters who prob do watch too much tv, but we balance it with outdoor stuff like playing sports etc.

What I would love to no, and I am not being funny at all its a genuine question, how they managed to do it for £500!?!
Purely so I could follow suit lol!!

Im thinking to get kitted out with the hammocks and all you need for that would cost a fortune.

The article has inspired to do something similar, my wife and I have just agreed that come the new year we are going to set 50 challenges for the family, need to be realistic though as the youngest girl is 3, and more importantly we are gonna have a day without the tv on.

I must admit though, I dont dislike the tv, there are lots of programmes on that I really enjoy, and for me, this time of year you cant beat a family movie night watching a good xmas film.

Thanks for sharing

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE