The other half - Handles.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’ve read a lot on this site about blades, steel and sharpening.

Handles seem to be described in terms of decorative features and materials or sometimes as “ergonomic”. I don’t know what that means in terms of a knife handle. I have used knives continuously for full working days in my former work.

If you use a multi-tool knife then you are more or less stuck with the handle you buy- aren’t you? Has anyone modified a Swiss army knife handle? I mean operationally rather than decorating it.

We users of Opinel knives frequently modify or play with the handle shape even though it’s perfectly effective for most domestic purposes. Indeed Opinel encourage it with their “Rough” version:

IMG_6579.jpeg

I have made several different handles, using my own wood, for different purposes, usually using the #9 oyster knife blade and lock which is sold un-bevelled and un-sharpened.

So:

- What do you look for in the handle of your knife?
- How important is it when you are purchasing?
- Do you modify knife handles?
- Pic?

Last edited:

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
If I had the choice I would choose a micarta over wood for less maintenance and a bit more weather resistance, but I do like a wood with some grain.
After a few uses I may sand down flatspots buts that's very minor and apply some sort of finishing oil

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
By and large I prefer something pretty simple in terms of shape. One of my favourites is the handle on the Brisa Kephart which I have never felt the desire to change. Other favourites are the Camillus Bushcrafter and also the classic puuko style. Funny you should mention the SAK because I've always found it fine. Generally speaking undesirable features are sharp/angular edges and handles that are too thin.

How important is it? Probably more important than the blade.

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I can agree that the handle is at least as important as the blade.
I have large hands and a smashed finger on my predominant (right) hand.

Funny you should mention the SAK because I've always found it fine.
Now that is a very variable commodity depending on the number of tools attached to your Swiss Army knife. I only own two - a tiny one with scissors and a nail file as a promotion for Monsanto and a smallish two blade version promoting a fork lift firm I did business with. It’s OK but I can’t imagine that the big multitools are comfortable. I’m very willing to be wrong.
Could they be modified if you chose?

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I've never seen the carve-your-own Opinel before. It would make a fabulous gift, but it seems to only be available from Opinel with €17 delivery.

For my money, I do like micarta for durability.
My next-to-be-tested knife is a Joker Bushlord with unstabilised walnut scales. It's very grippy, but durability is TBC.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I've never seen the carve-your-own Opinel before. It would make a fabulous gift, but it seems to only be available from Opinel with €17 delivery.
Do you have a local wood turner who could turn the bolster for you?
Could you order a “Rough” from a local supplier who could import it for you.

NB don’t make the mistake that I made. The bolster needs to be on a line about 12 degrees forward of the centre line of the handle in order to present the blade to its work properly.
That’s what I failed to do for my first one. After that I got a lathe attachment for my Black & Decker drill and did my own.IMG_6580.jpeg
They don’t always go right! I tried to use marine plywood for this one.
It was intended for a #12 but it’s down to a #9 so far.
Of course you end up with a supply of wooden handles that no one wants.

The OP is about more than Opinels.
I’d be interested in any handle opinions and modifications. My illustrations are just what I’ve got.

Reactions: Foogs and gg012
i once modified the handle of an opinel #10 by rounding the end a bit with sandpaper and slightly "notched" it where the thumbnail groove (or whatever the correct name is) is located for easier opening, otherwise i haven't seen a need for handle modification in tools yet...
machetes (despite using them frequently i'm not sure if they classify as tools as they're imho a collection of poor compromises) on the other hand get the upper end of the handle rear end cut of and rounded as soon as i get them in my possession as i find that more comfortable for use (machetes here come with moulded plastic handles)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@Foogs
Duh! So sorry!!!!!!
I’ve known about this for years!
You can carve ANY Opinel. Most of these are #8.

Edited to add:
I have two spare #9 handles if anyone would like to practice. Just the wood, no blade or lock.

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've carved my Opinel out of necessity because back when I was a reckless teen I broke the tip off so the blade rests further in and conceals the nail nick.

Modifying SAKs? There's not much meat on the scales to play with but people certainly fit their own custom scales.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Not on topic but I don’t know how many people know about the Coup des Savoyards (The tap or knock of the people of Haut Savoi, where the knives are made.)

Before the year 2000 Opinels didn’t lock closed but the blade was held firm right inside the handle.
Stainless steel, the closed Virobloc and access to the nail nick all appeared in 2000.
I got my first one in 1986 and tapped it on the heel of my boot to open it. Some Americans advertised a cutaway version but I managed fine. I only started modifying handles ten or twelve years ago.

It looks to me that even folk who happily modify the blades and edges of their knives don’t do much with their handles. That surprises me. We all have such different grips. I’m sure some of us would benefit from wider, longer or different handles than those provided. I’m “restoring” a Tina budding knife (folding, sprung, no lock; is that a slip joint?) and thinking about extending the scales by up to 50mm.
I’m just now thinking of maybe making a wooden sleeve handle for that promotional Swiss Army knife so that my busted hand can grip it. I have no idea why I’d do that, I have never used it :). I just like challenges.

My current projects are in pottery but when I get back from my holiday in a couple of weeks I shall make a new handle for an Opinel #12 out of a natural piece of a Rowan pruning complete with bark. It may not work! Rowan star cracks.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE