The Norwegian Military Tent Sheet System KNAPPETELT

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
'hi' means a den/burrow/hide.

The only thing I can think of for the first part is that it comes from the boy's name Jens, but that's just a guess.
This kind of linguistic knowledge, so precious I couldn't find on the web..
Thank you so much!

Reactions: Erbswurst

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
Gah, this so annoying! My posts don't post despite looking like it to me and then when I go back in to the thread it still sits there unposted.
I understand,
Above, I had the same problem ,too

So I edited my re-post,
Put a knappetalt pic instead ⛺

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
The boys name Jens is (was (?) ...at least during the 50’s, 60’s and 70’ies) also used in the similar way as the name Tommy to mean a private soldier (no rank) in the British army – ie «Jens» would in army slang also mean a private soldier in the Norwegian army.

Jensehi = soldiers den/burrow

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
Hi, Erbswurst, and everyone.

I went camping the other day, tried JENSEHI MD1 for the first time.
I used 4 adjustable poles(140cm) inside and many guy ropes around to build one.
I think i should have the pole more shorter. there were gap between ground and kilt.

I know the tent is designed for vivoucing in severe environment, but we use it for leisure family camping , arranged. It was very comfy.

I love knappetelt !

1651720865605.png
1651721007991.png1651721167840.png

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hi, Erbswurst, and everyone.

I went camping the other day, tried JENSEHI MD1 for the first time.
I used 4 adjustable poles(140cm) inside and many guy ropes around to build one.
I think i should have the pole more shorter. there were gap between ground and kilt.

I know the tent is designed for vivoucing in severe environment, but we use it for leisure family camping , arranged. It was very comfy.

I love knappetelt !

View attachment 73941
View attachment 73942View attachment 73943
Nice! :D As long as you don't get a draft that bothers you, a bit of extra air circulation can be a good thing.

Reactions: Tosh JPN

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
Hello, Erbswurst and Everyone
It's Toshi again.
Is that OK to post here so often, Erbswurst??  
-----
By the way , I want to ask you a question.
Especially Tor , maybe.. such expert

Recently I got 2 pieces of Knappetelt sheet via local trade in Japan.

-They look very new.
-They don't have any print on surface( nor configuration instructions, years, numbers, anything)
-OD color is lighter than others.
-Buttons are Green, I think they are alminium button coated with plastic.

At first, I thought they are just newer, recent producted Norwegian Knappetelt.
But some buddy in Japanese military tent BBS told me they are actually "DUCTCH ARMY TENT"

I've heard Dutch army had almost identical tent cloth, but are they them??

I post picutures below, I hope experts here kindly tell me about this...
Thank you.

1652106327378.png1652106345695.png

Comparison : the ODcolor is lighter, and the size is maybe bit smaller
1652106409870.png

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think that this information is wrong. Rare equipment is pretty often declared wrong if sold by military surplus shops. And Dutch and Norvegian stuff is rather rare because they are smaller countries.

I don't know it but I assume that this is a different version of the Norvegian tent sheet, used a lot or even washed relatively carefully. Washed and much used cotton or linen tent sheets simply shrink and fade out.

I am no expert for Dutch military equipment but so far I know they issued after WW2 something like the US army tent / shelter halves or rather very similar to the German version of these tents and afterwards issued tents with integrated floor in an own design, that look rather like a civil camping tent.

First they copied American equipment afterwards British patterns if they didn't come up with own creations.
The Norwegian system is strong in the woods and in cold conditions. The Netherlands haven't much forest and it doesn't become especially cold there. They have to count with wind and rain and surely prefere a very low profile over the option to create a fire heated Norvegian teepee / laavvu / kota what's the most interesting point of the Norvegian system, compared to square or triangular sheets or the US shelter halves / pup tents which also offer this option but less good or in wrong sizes.

That's why I doubt that they even tried out the Norvegian construction.

PS:
You are invited write a book about the Norvegian tent sheets here and may post about it as often as you like of course!

:)

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
Hello, Tor, thank you for the reply!! You’ve been in the actural Hæren and your knowledge shareing is so precious...

Thank you for the link and pics.
hmm It looks so resemble to mine..
So they say it is Dutch Army Shelter-Half Khaki Genuine Military surplus...

And you said you've never seen the ones with green buttons...

Thanks That's a great information.
I'll keep serching around :)
Quick google search; could be Dutch.
https://armyworld.pl/product-eng-19...Half-Khaki-Genuine-Military-surplus-Used.html

Never seen such tarps in the norwegian army (all tarps are the same size, new or old).

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
I think that this information is wrong. Rare equipment is pretty often declared wrong if sold by military surplus shops. And Dutch and Norvegian stuff is rather rare because they are smaller countries.

I don't know it but I assume that this is a different version of the Norvegian tent sheet, used a lot or even washed relatively carefully. Washed and much used cotton or linen tent sheets simply shrink and fade out.

I am no expert for Dutch military equipment but so far I know they issued after WW2 something like the US army tent / shelter halves or rather very similar to the German version of these tents and afterwards issued tents with integrated floor in an own design, that look rather like a civil camping tent.

First they copied American equipment afterwards British patterns if they didn't come up with own creations.
The Norwegian system is strong in the woods and in cold conditions. The Netherlands haven't much forest and it doesn't become especially cold there. They have to count with wind and rain and surely prefere a very low profile over the option to create a fire heated Norvegian teepee / laavvu / kota what's the most interesting point of the Norvegian system, compared to square or triangular sheets or the US shelter halves / pup tents which also offer this option but less good or in wrong sizes.

That's why I doubt that they even tried out the Norvegian construction.

PS:
You are invited write a book about the Norvegian tent sheets here and may post about it as often as you like of course!

:)
Thank you for the sincere discussion..

Yes, Dutch army have tents look like USpup tents and triangle single person tents.
It sounds strenge, as you said, that if KL has same diamond shape tents..
But several people tell me that they had..
I've seen several pics of diamond shape tent sheet that is different from one we see as norwegian knappetelt sheet..
I will keep looking.

thank you so much. I' will post again soon, is that ok ??lol
because im so indulged in those knappetelt!!

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
Thank you for the sincere discussion..

Yes, Dutch army have tents look like USpup tents and triangle single person tents.
It sounds strenge, as you said, that if KL has same diamond shape tents..
But several people tell me that they had..
I've seen several pics of diamond shape tent sheet that is different from one we see as norwegian knappetelt sheet..
I will keep looking.

thank you so much. I' will post again soon, is that ok ??lol
because im so indulged in those knappetelt!!
By the way, have you ever checked the German BBS "MULTI-BOARD.COM" - "Zeltbahnen"?

I got a lot of information about European military tents from that wholeBBS.

Coincidentally, they seem to be dealing with the same issue now. : )

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Regarding German after WW2 military surplus stuff from Bundeswehr, BGS, Navy and civil defence like THW and others, even railroad, post, police and whatever, that's the best internet expert forum.
Regarding German after war uniforms and equipment they really know all and everything, noticed every seam and button that changed during the years.

But I think they aren't that good regarding other countries.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do you mean BGS tent sheets or what?

I own them since decades but whyever didn't use them very often. There is a very similar slightly larger german boy scout tent with a smoke hole in the tip that we mainly used because we can ignite a fire in the middle of the tent. But of course I bought also other tent sheets when they were cheap as chips.

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
Regarding German after WW2 military surplus stuff from Bundeswehr, BGS, Navy and civil defence like THW and others, even railroad, post, police and whatever, that's the best internet expert forum.
Regarding German after war uniforms and equipment they really know all and everything, noticed every seam and button that changed during the years.

But I think they aren't that good regarding other country
I saw lots of pictures of tents there. I was amazed

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
Hi,

found other pictures of Knappetelt.
I guess this is a FB page of a Museum in Oslo.
And the tent looks like the JENSEHI.
The tent is supposed to set up that low in the snow...:oops:

Last edited:

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Hi,

found other pictures of Knappetelt.
I guess this is a FB page of a Museum in Oslo.
And the tent looks like the JENSEHI.
The tent is supposed to set up that low in the snow...:oops:

The tent is supposed to be low profile (both for warmth and concealment).
In winter a trench was dug into the tent opening, and about a meter into the tent ( figure 22 in https://www.forsvaret.no/en/organis...0646635eb3b4346ea/UD 6-81-6E BIOUVAC 2010.pdf)
It is a "work pit" or "cold well".
The stove was often placed on a shelf down in the pit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE