The Norwegian Military Tent Sheet System KNAPPETELT

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Please let's collect in this thread all You know about the Knappetelt, the tent sheet system of the Norwegian Army!

:geek:

Reactions: Tosh JPN

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Online translation does a reasonable job; first paragraph (could take a while though :):

"Booklet 6 aims to give an introduction to different types of hives and how best to organize to get good bivuakks.The booklet provides a short introduction and must necessarily be followed up with practical training in different types of terrain and conditions. Several of the elements are of a general nature and must be adapted to the individual department's procedures and equipment"

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Unfortunately I can't see it, because my document reader is out of function.
:rolleyes:

A good reason to fix it!
;)

@oldtimer
I was pretty surprised when I discovered a few years ago that I can read Norvegian newspapers without any problems.

I thought about it and found that all Germanic languages use nearly identic vocabulary, just the orthography is different and sometimes the sound.
And there are little differences in the grammar.

The main problems we get with the different (usually incorrect or archaic) pronounciation of French words which are mixed into the Germanic languages.

But of course, we all (or better most of us) seem to come approximately from Lower Saxony where we lived between the Scandinavic and Alpine glaciers in the last ice age.

And later we never lost the contact.

:encourage:

Last edited:

Ira

Sep 15, 2021
Kensington
I bought one out of curiosity more than anything, it came with a few small rips and one major damaged corner which had been repaired by a blind man with shares in gaffa tape, after cleaning it up and doing some repairs myself, which are far from professional but work for now, I have ordered another,my excuse to myself is that they are designed to be joined to each other so I have to have at least two, hopefully, it will come in better condition than the last, while searching for more info I came across this interesting video.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I bought one out of curiosity more than anything, it came with a few small rips and one major damaged corner which had been repaired by a blind man with shares in gaffa tape, after cleaning it up and doing some repairs myself, which are far from professional but work for now, I have ordered another,my excuse to myself is that they are designed to be joined to each other so I have to have at least two, hopefully, it will come in better condition than the last, while searching for more info I came across this interesting video.
Might be wrong (usually am), but isn’t that a Swedish Zeltbahn. I think the Norwegian Knappetelt is an OD green diamond shaped tarp, I have 5 of them, they have loads of aluminium buttons down each side and can be joined in all sorts of weird and wonderful configurations. Sorry, I was wrong but can’t work out how to delete this post. Didn’t know you could get camo Norwegian ones.

Last edited:

Ira

Sep 15, 2021
Kensington
I think you are probably right, I got my second one and tried to put them together as he had in the video but it wasn't quite like his, I put it down to me being indoors with an extendable mop as the centre pole and cans of food to pin out the sides, (it was raining all day Saturday), I am waiting for a dry day to get out into the garden and have a proper go at setting it up.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Some more info (it seems my earlier link is broken).
The norwegian tarp is diamond shaped. No other shape was used.
The tarps could be green (most common) or camuflaged.
32113_Forsvarets_1-manns_teltduk__gr_nn_3.jpg

Each tarp is about 1,5 kiloes.

The tents mostly used was 5, 7 or 10 tarps tent.
Only at special occations was anything else used.
Rifle teams used 5 and 7 ( pictures below) tarp configuration, and AT teams mostly used the 10 tarp configuration.
image.jpeg.0f272464c5b6cee9a85925142e0cfed9.jpeg
images

When I did service, no one was buttoning up these in the field.
They were carried ready made, rolled up on the rucksack.
I carried ours, a 10 tarp tent (below).
images

The sides were buttoned in a fashion called "stormknepp" and roof (the number 1 tarp in the pics) standard double buttoning (pic).
gallery_1427_9_973.jpg

No tent poles were used.
The tent was set up using trees, cut tree poles or skiis (pic below).
main-qimg-ceb6e3a2cfbf20d8cc461ecaa67bd9b6

The issued tent poles was sometimes used as candle holders.
Tent was heated (cold months) with the Optimus 111 hiker kerosene stove.
Each team usually had two stoves.
One man was manning the stove at all times. Usually the hour before one went out on guard duty.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Some more info (it seems my earlier link is broken).
The norwegian tarp is diamond shaped. No other shape was used.
The tarps could be green (most common) or camuflaged.
32113_Forsvarets_1-manns_teltduk__gr_nn_3.jpg

Each tarp is about 1,5 kiloes.

The tents mostly used was 5, 7 or 10 tarps tent.
Only at special occations was anything else used.
Rifle teams used 5 and 7 ( pictures below) tarp configuration, and AT teams mostly used the 10 tarp configuration.
image.jpeg.0f272464c5b6cee9a85925142e0cfed9.jpeg
images

When I did service, no one was buttoning up these in the field.
They were carried ready made, rolled up on the rucksack.
I carried ours, a 10 tarp tent (below).
images

The sides were buttoned in a fashion called "stormknepp" and roof (the number 1 tarp in the pics) standard double buttoning (pic).
gallery_1427_9_973.jpg

No tent poles were used.
The tent was set up using trees, cut tree poles or skiis (pic below).
main-qimg-ceb6e3a2cfbf20d8cc461ecaa67bd9b6

The issued tent poles was sometimes used as candle holders.
Tent was heated (cold months) with the Optimus 111 hiker kerosene stove.
Each team usually had two stoves.
One man was manning the stove at all times. Usually the hour before one went out on guard duty.
Wow, I can’t imagine having to carry 10 of these and, presumably, your other kit besides Full respect!
Helpfully, some of the tarps have diagrams for the different configurations according to how many you’re using. I’ve only used one at a time so far, I really like the shape, it’s a perfect size, unlike the “just a tad too small” Soviet era Palatkas. Going to have to up my fitness game if I’m to do a camp with all 5 though!:(

Last edited:

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
Hello, BCUK friends
I'm so glad that I've found here.

I am big fan of Knappetelt too!
Have you check the UD 6-81-6 E INSTRUCTION IN WINTER SERVICE BIOUVAC written in English already?
it is great document, I love it. Lots of information.

I have 10 ODcolor and 2 camo.
I usually use them as 2MANNSTELT and 5.

By the way, could anybody tell me what "JENSEHI" means?
(4-)MANNSTELT, I can guess that it means 4person tent.
But I cant look up the word JENSEHI in every web dictionary tool of norwegian language...

I'm looking forward to talk a lot about Knappetelt here !!

1650442231510.png

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Have you check the UD 6-81-6 E INSTRUCTION IN WINTER SERVICE BIOUVAC written in English already?
!
Hi Tosh, Welcome to the forum :)

I spent hours translating the Norwegian document (and still have loads of 'tidying' to do) - that document you've linked is a much better translation :) - thanks. The version I have been working on lately is 2020; I'll have to compare and see what changes they've made.

I don't have/use the Norwegian tarp but I think the document has a lot of very good information anyway.

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hello, BCUK friends
I'm so glad that I've found here.

I have 10 ODcolor and 2 camo.
I usually use them as 2MANNSTELT and 5.

By the way, could anybody tell me what "JENSEHI" means?
(4-)MANNSTELT, I can guess that it means 4person tent.
But I cant look up the word JENSEHI in every web dictionary tool of norwegian language...

I'm looking forward to talk a lot about Knappetelt here !!

View attachment 73654
'hi' means a den/burrow/hide.

The only thing I can think of for the first part is that it comes from the boy's name Jens, but that's just a guess.

• Love

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Gah, this so annoying! My posts don't post despite looking like it to me and then when I go back in to the thread it still sits there unposted.

Tosh JPN

Jan 8, 2022
Japan
Jensehi is just the name of the tent in a 7 tarp configuration.
Could mean "Jens Lair".
The older ones was fond of nicknaming everything; (kaffe)Lars is the name used on a coffee kettle.
Was never used in my time in the forces.
Hello, Tor
I believe we said hi at BCUSA.. nice to see again

Thank you for the reply and informations!
It was big mistery for me since the first time I saw this great kit last year..

I will share the knowledge to my SNS buddy in JPN who loves Knappetalt too.. Big Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE