The no spoon knife spoon

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Wanted to try up a spoon from how I got my start doing this. Came out better than my very first one this way to LOL guess I'm improving all around no matter what tools I use. Anyways the wood is white birch and I just used the little Murphy knife pictured took me in all maybe bout 20 minutes to carve it up. Not sanded yet but this was more a try at an older skill learned

100_4571.jpg

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
so, how did you do that? just sort of hollow the bowl with the knife? Can we have a close-up of the bowl please?

It's kinda something you just need to sorta try I am going to try and do a carve along on the cutting strokes I use for this method. I had someone on another board ask me of doing a bit of a tutorial for it. Soon as I get the time between my commissioned pieces I will do one up for here as well. It's sorta using upside down triangle cuts for the rough inner bowl work if that makes any sense. Far as the rest of the work it's best when I get the pics of it as i go along on the next one.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
wow...20 mins(only just noticed)...it can take me a few hours to finish a spoon, with a spoon knife too! (although I really should sharpen it properly:rolleyes:. It's one of the bluntest knives I own:(

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Thanks guys

@S.C.M. yeah got a new 163 half curve a couple months ago the thing was bout as sharp as a door knob LOL not all that hard to sharpen up once ya figure out the twist for the curve half. Look up the videos from Ben Orford that's how I learned to sharpen one works great

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE