the no-knot - or how to anchor a rope to a tree without using a knot...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
No need to be sorry as you're wrong, it's not a "terrible version of 'round turn and two half-hitches", it's a Tentionless hitch....different knot for a different purpose, tied differently with different strengths and weaknesses.
I am sorry, however, to point out your mistake....no offence :)

I'm an RYA sailer, an MLTB SPA holder and Tree surgeon so by and large I'm pretty good with ropework and knots ;)
Fair enough. I'm still not quite sure why you'd bother tying it, since a round turn and two doubled hitches is more secure, less likely to jam and just as quick to tie.

there are a number of 'not knots' similar to this; the one called a 'come along' comes to mind (used for hauling logs but also as a temp hitch to a very thick cable). What they all have in common is that they are for temporary use when someone is 'supervising' the knot.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
No worries mrcharly....actually, I just looked at my post in your quotes and it reads back a bit pompous anyway...so sorry for that :)

As it happens I don't use this hitch for hammocks either, found it a pain to keep wrapping round and unwrapping when leaving. I use tree huggers and an Italian hitch tied off with a half hitch and then daisy chained to use up the slack....and tarp I use a bowline at one end and a round turn and two half hitches (as you suggest :) ) at the other. It's no better or worse than anybody else's set up really....as I'm sure you'll agree it's just what you like and get used too :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Oh, absolutely. When I lived aboard for a while I used to motor up and down river for convenience; into town for shopping, night out, off to marina for water, etc. Got so used to tying roundturntwo that I'd use if for everything, even when it wasn't the best knot to use.

Wide webbing from a habidashers works well for hammocks. No stretch and the width stops it from abrading bark. Bit of a sod to tie securely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE