The Morning News

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Max (Shadowhawk) taught us that every morning we should read the morning news - walk around looking for tracks and signs of what's been happening around us in the night.

This morning I found a lot of rabbit fur on the grass - something had bunny for dinner last night! I couldn't see any tracks - but that's not to say there weren't any. I'm not good at spotting animal tracks on grass. :wink:

Also some prints from a very big dog on the path that must have wandered through at some point. Don't think it had the rabbit though.

So what did you read in the morning news today? Share it here! :-D

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Kath said:
Max (Shadowhawk) taught us that every morning we should read the morning news - walk around looking for tracks and signs of what's been happening around us in the night.

This morning I found a lot of rabbit fur on the grass - something had bunny for dinner last night! I couldn't see any tracks - but that's not to say there weren't any. I'm not good at spotting animal tracks on grass. :wink:

Also some prints from a very big dog on the path that must have wandered through at some point. Don't think it had the rabbit though.

Just the wet footprints of a cat along the sheltered bottom of a wall between home and the carpark, by the looks it misaimed its jump off said wall and landed in a small puddle then got itself out of the rain and went on it's way

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Kath said:

My forest newspaper told me that the snowshoe rabbits around my shelter are lazy things, :eek:): they leave the forest to run along a very small forest road to cover distance rather than hopping through the forest. Looks funny how the tracks are coming out of the bush and meeting all up on the path only to continue up and down the path.

:chill:
cheers
Abbe

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
The dogs began barking themselves silly last night so I went out in the middle of a horrible hail shower to see what was up. No sign of anything.

This morning in the light I went round the back of the house to have a look. Three different sets of deer tracks leading up to the back window. Two smaller sets one larger. Looks like some deer took shelter in the lee of the house under the eaves of the roof during the hail shower. I followed the tracks back down the garden to see where they had been getting in and found that a large branch had taken down part of the deer fence. Must have been blown down in the gales yesterday or the day before. Lifted the branch off and rehung the wire temporarily (mental note - fix fence asap).

George

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Walking into work this morning I had to dodge a substantial amount of bird droppings, so looked up to the trees to see literally hundreds of waxwings sitting there. Obviously on their winter sojourn/feeding frenzy. Havent seen so meny for years, must be the amount of berries that have been produced this year.

Cheers

JFW

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Walked out the door the other night and looked up instead of down and surprise surprise I've got cat footprints in the plaster all along my wall! :eek:): Never noticed em before as they don't show up in daylight, only when the light's coming through the door.

Don't think a cat climbed up the wall to make them because all the prints go sideways, think someone maybe pressed its paws in! :?:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Kath said:
Walked out the door the other night and looked up instead of down and surprise surprise I've got cat footprints in the plaster all along my wall! :eek:): Never noticed em before as they don't show up in daylight, only when the light's coming through the door.

Don't think a cat climbed up the wall to make them because all the prints go sideways, think someone maybe pressed its paws in! :?:

Either that or the cat was showing his mates the feline 'Wall of Death' before the plaster cured... :biggthump

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
:rolmao:

Has anyone else found that once you get into tracking your eye is CONSTANTLY searching out tracks and prints?

(Mind you, it really is getting too much when you start seeing tracks in walls! I thought I was seeing things!!! :shock:)

jakunen

Native
My morning walk to the station, being a bit wetter than usual, I decided to walk along the river path under the trees rather than across the meadow.

Found some paw prints in the soft mud by one of the bays. Thought it was just someones dog having gone for a swim (why it would have needed to when it was getting a free shower...) and followed the tracks backwards along the path...

To find a patch of grass that was sparkling in the week light. Interesting I thought. Closer inpesction revealed a few fins.

You got it! My little friend the otter has been wandering around. :eek:):

I've not seen him for a while and thought he'd probably been killed. I just hope he's found himself a lady friend...

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
re jfw/waxwings seen a biggish flock in east kilbride today,used to see them regulary at this time of the year but the past 3 years nothing.amazing wee birds :chill: :chill:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I didn't even make it off my apartment landing. My nieghbors were screaming about a rattlesnake. I walked over and stopped a broom in mid arc descending on a stunning 5' King Snake. What my niegbors failed to observe was the button tail of a rattler, or in old cowboy slang a Buzzworm ticking out of her mouth. I picked her up and relocated us both to the shade of an oaktree. There were countless owl pellets and the tracks of the local bobcat and rabbit fur. Best of all I found a small garden of Miner's Lettuce, a native plant discovered by 49er goldminers here in California.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Walking round my 'patch' at the weekend I took some pictures of a badger run through a fence. It's surprising how much damage they can do...
I put my hat next to it for scale.

The next picture is of a print in the dip. The piece of dry grass is on the heel pad and the direction of travel is towards the camera.

Sorry for the poor quality, I took them using my phone.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• Badger run.jpg
    Badger run.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 38
  • Badger track.jpg
    Badger track.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 30

Brainflex

Nov 6, 2004
Found a huge badger set in my wood.Didn't realise how big badgers are until I found his markings 3 ft up on a tree. :shock:

leon-1

The morning news is more like the evening standard to me, I work nights and having just moved I am trying to acclimatize to my new local area.

However as I am on the way home heading toward Brixham and the Dart Valley, I am nearly always struck by the beauty of the area I live in.

In the last 3 weeks I have seen a fox at least once a week normally skulking in and around one of the fields that border the road. Every morning I can hear the call of pheasants and watch them in flight and think to myself they may look great, but they are about as aerodynamic as a housebrick.

We have quite a large population of small wild birds (I have a wren and a Robin that scrap constantly over my garden) and the cats in the area appear to be totally idle and are very rarely seen wandering in peoples gardens, this could be due to a very large well fed buzzard that lives in the area (I think tiddles is avoiding anywhere where it can be ambushed).

Currently reading the morning news is done whilst contemplating singing "zip-a-dee-do-dah" whilst walking home from a nights work :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE