The Man Who Would be King

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I prefer the Kipling story!

Or even better the story of the battle of Gundamuk - 1842 - another british army defeat, a battle where the 44TH OF FOOT The Essex Regt was massacred to a man by afghans - well all except one lucky luetentant who wrapped the colours areound himself and was saved! Fantastic story of bravery and sacrifice as some of the heroic acts the soldiers did trying to save their comrades who were all hacked to peices is unbeleivable.

But more importantly their sacrifice meant that the rest of the expedientionary force escaped.

Sorry, but it is a good story!

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Coincidentally the story of the lone suriving soldier was mentioned by Michael Palin on his tour through the Himalayas a while back. Apparently that region is still completely lawless.

Gary said:
I prefer the Kipling story!

Or even better the story of the battle of Gundamuk - 1842 - another british army defeat, a battle where the 44TH OF FOOT The Essex Regt was massacred to a man by afghans - well all except one lucky luetentant who wrapped the colours areound himself and was saved! Fantastic story of bravery and sacrifice as some of the heroic acts the soldiers did trying to save their comrades who were all hacked to peices is unbeleivable.

But more importantly their sacrifice meant that the rest of the expedientionary force escaped.

Sorry, but it is a good story!

Wasn't one of the survivors Harry Flashman????

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE